Jonsereds 630 converted to 272XP Oem cylinder and piston outcome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynosawr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought I would share a few pics of my personal, Jonsereds 630 that I received from my Dad and family friend as a gift. I just completed the conversion to an OEM Husqvarna 272xp piston and cylinder, intake and the matching larger HS 260A carb and wanted to share the outcome. I also converted to the Cutters Edge style K&N air filter and aluminum velocity stack. This saw does have the two piece ignition system as well.

I installed it with yamabond 4 last night for a base gasket delete, it has .019 clearance. I also performed a very minor exhaust port cleanup, intake porting to gasket match, plugged decomp, drilled and tapped intake holes to 5mm and installed 80mm cap screws; modified muffler with internal baffle removed by dremel cutoff wheel and one louver removed. I kept the large plate-style internal spark screen intact, but still need to buy a new muffler support bracket. For the main throttle adjustment screw access, I drilled a new hole in the large lower plastic cover near the left stud, right above/between the L H on the cover.

It has a 28 inch Windsor bar and a loop of Stihl round chisel chain installed.

I worked on it several hours last night to get it finished by 2 in the morning!

We have a nice neighbor who had a large diameter log in the back yard who wanted it cut up this weekend, so I was trying to get it done finally!

Went and got a 92DL chain made this morning, got it started and tuned in rich at first, and then went and cut up the log. It worked awesome. I am very pleased.

The pics were taken after I cleaned it off from cutting the dusty, very hard log.

Pros: lots more power, pulls a 28 inch bar very well, no complaints; sounds awesome and much faster revving than original smaller cc. Decently balanced with the 28 inch bar, as it doesn't feel nose heavy. Starts great and although it has very strong compression, it doesn't jerk the rope handle from your hand.

Cons: the original 630 carb had a fast idle built into the linkage to the choke, but the 272 model carb doesn't, because the 272 had a fast idle lever setup on the handle and operator lever. It didn't really seem to care as it started very easy on idle when hot or cold. Not sure if I will pursue a fast idle mod or not.

The spark plug angle is more vertical on a 272 than a 630 or 670 cylinder, and it causes a gap in the rear air-filter top cover where it touches the spark plug boot before the cover seats against the cylinder cover. This is only a minor aesthetic detractor, not a terrible thing.

Attachments

• IMG_5089.JPG
    IMG_5089.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5091.JPG
    IMG_5091.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5090.JPG
    IMG_5090.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 71
That's great.... the best part is the fact that it was a gift from your dad. I would never let that one go...

Russ

Absolutely!

I sent him the same pics and he thinks it is awesome!

It will be a keeper forever and passed to my son.

Now on to my personal small saw, a mint J'red cs2149 that I am converting to a 346xp NE piston and cylinder....

Latest posts

Back