Jonsereds 820 needs a new bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. The old Jonsered{s} company was great about 'families' of saws. Probably why the old models have survived this long;parts interchangeability. There were exceptions of course that had proprietary designs like the 621 and the 111/111S to just to name two. .

The 910E was the last Jonsereds engineered saw...a 'purebred'. After that it was Partner/Husky and then eventually a Husky show. It's always been unclear to me how many of the original Jonsereds engineers and employees moved into Partner/Husky and on to Husky. It's certainly something Electrolux AB never mentioned or bragged about.

Kevin
The 910E had to have had the WORST throttle handle design known to man. What were those engineers thinking? Less weight or less brainpower?😂

The 910E had to have had the WORST throttle handle design known to man. What were those engineers thinking? Less weight or less brainpower?😂
You learned fast using them that if the bar got pinched, you NEVER pulled hard with the throttle handle. Jonsereds did sell a kit that strengthened the throttle handle A/V's. I have the kit but haven't installed it yet.

What I laugh at is the wrap assembly. The standard wrap is incredibly over-complicated and yet replacing with the full-wrap deletes a lot of the fittings. It's was a classic case of like what Stihl does even today;having a good system, but trying to make it 'better'.

And then on the 920/930 they overcompensated with those brute clunky Partner wraps and handles.

Kevin

Is there sone reason you don't want to file the bar slot on an 009 bar out to 10mm?I've done this numerous times and it works fine; takes 10-15 minutes and it's a done deal.
No reason other that making sure the oil holes line up perfectly and you took the same amount off of both sides. The Carlton bar I did was no 10-15 minute job.

And doing that every time for a new bar doesn't make sense when you can have the bar studs made just once.

Kevin

So I have a Jonsereds 820 that I bought years ago at a garage sale. The saw came with a Windsor bar with the numbers C48V 5930 28 JR 58 ST it also has STA- 375 stamped on the tip! I’ve hardly used it over the years and it was in good shape for an old saw when I purchased it! I’d like to replace both the bar and chain and need something compatible! The specs on the bar and Stihl chain that came with it are 3/8” pitch, .058 gauge, 28”, 92 DL count. Has anyone information on what’s out there that’ll work on this saw?
It’s beginning to look like my option for a new bar might require a little input! Has anyone got suggestions for a new bar that will require modifications? Anyone actually done it? How about a preferred brand name (other than Jonsereds) that someone has successfully modified? I’m looking for a 28” bar, 0.58 gauge 93dl and there seems to be lots of choices out there! Still…someone might have knowledge of one brand that fits better or is more easily modified than the others so that’s what I’m asking about. As with everything else in life, you don’t know till you ask, so that’s what I’m doing!

Bar studs for an 820 thread into the case and do not require anything like splitting the cases to remove- so you could remove the studs and take them down to a machinist, and have them turn the collar down to suit a D009 mount.
Or have a new set of studs made to suit the D009 mount and save the originals- otherwise the turned down studs will require something like a sleeve to mount original bars (not that you are likely to find many of those nowadays.)
I do know of someone that is capable of machining up new studs and I have an extra set of the 10mm studs I purchased on eBay that would give this guy an idea of what I want. However the first thing this guy will ask me is what pitch thread do I want for the 9 mm setup? Does anyone know the actual thread sizes for the D009 9mm studs? I know the thread size for the end that threads into the case but what about the size that fits through the guide bar? Are these threads standard or metric and although this guy can probably machine up any size I would rather he make them the exact thread that the factory version would’ve been?

I do know of someone that is capable of machining up new studs and I have an extra set of the 10mm studs I purchased on eBay that would give this guy an idea of what I want. However the first thing this guy will ask me is what pitch thread do I want for the 9 mm setup? Does anyone know the actual thread sizes for the D009 9mm studs? I know the thread size for the end that threads into the case but what about the size that fits through the guide bar? Are these threads standard or metric and although this guy can probably machine up any size I would rather he make them the exact thread that the factory version would’ve been?

The threads on a D009 stud are not 9mm thread- they are 8mm- standard metric 8 X 1.25.

Anyone know for sure the thread pitch and diameter of the stud end that threads into the case?
Be a cool coincidence if they were the same as Stihl D025 studs- replace original studs with Stihl ones and run Stihl bars forevermore! :laugh:
I picked up a set of Jonsereds 820 bar studs on eBay and the thread size going into the case is 10mm x 1.5 however I also got a bolt 8mm x 1.25 to check the size of the D009 you suggested was the thread and it seems pretty small in comparison?
The threads on a D009 stud are not 9mm thread- they are 8mm- standard metric 8 X 1.25.
the 8mm x 1.25 pitch seems kinda loose? I picked up an 8mm x 1.25 bolt and it sure seems like there’s lots of play in comparison to the guide bar slot. Since these are machined studs isn’t it possible they could’ve used an M9 x 1.25 thread?

I picked up a set of Jonsereds 820 bar studs on eBay and the thread size going into the case is 10mm x 1.5 however I also got a bolt 8mm x 1.25 to check the size of the D009 you suggested was the thread and it seems pretty small in comparison?

the 8mm x 1.25 pitch seems kinda loose? I picked up an 8mm x 1.25 bolt and it sure seems like there’s lots of play in comparison to the guide bar slot. Since these are machined studs isn’t it possible they could’ve used an M9 x 1.25 thread?

The threads on a D009 stud are 8 X 1.25- but where the bar sits it is not threaded and is stepped out to suit the bar tail slots.
An 8mm bolt is constant diameter- but I am not sure what you are screwing it into here? If you are threading a standard 8mm bolt into the stud hole of a Jonsered 820 case- then yes it is going to feel loose because they are not the correct match,.

The threads on a D009 stud are 8 X 1.25- but where the bar sits it is not threaded and is stepped out to suit the bar tail slots.
An 8mm bolt is constant diameter- but I am not sure what you are screwing it into here? If you are threading a standard 8mm bolt into the stud hole of a Jonsered 820 case- then yes it is going to feel loose because they are not the correct match,.
The bolt was just an example of the thread I wanted on one side. I was going to take it to the machinist so he could understand what I’m asking him to do. I have two 10mm studs I can use as a general length/guide so he’ll understand what I want the machined studs to look like.

So, same as the Stihl 056 studs…?
or, what they sell now as an oversized for when the 8mm rips out.

Latest posts

Back