Jonsereds 820 needs a new bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wleas49

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have a Jonsereds 820 that I bought years ago at a garage sale. The saw came with a Windsor bar with the numbers C48V 5930 28 JR 58 ST it also has STA- 375 stamped on the tip! I’ve hardly used it over the years and it was in good shape for an old saw when I purchased it! I’d like to replace both the bar and chain and need something compatible! The specs on the bar and Stihl chain that came with it are 3/8” pitch, .058 gauge, 28”, 92 DL count. Has anyone information on what’s out there that’ll work on this saw?

It's an obsolete mount. Other than finding NOS bars, there are 2 paths to take. One, fit a set of more modern studs that use the common Husky large mount bar. I don't know which Husky studs would be a compatible match--maybe a 288. Two, file the slot open on the same common Husky bar to fit your saw. Either way, the DL count won't change.

Some of the Husky large mounts bars are very close to 10mm because well, they just aren't machined to very tight specs. I used to fight with Saw Troll about this. I've even had Husky large mounts bars fit right on(albeit tight) without any modification. Anyway, I'd start with the Husky large mount and see what ya got!

Kevin

So I have a Jonsereds 820 that I bought years ago at a garage sale. The saw came with a Windsor bar with the numbers C48V 5930 28 JR 58 ST it also has STA- 375 stamped on the tip! I’ve hardly used it over the years and it was in good shape for an old saw when I purchased it! I’d like to replace both the bar and chain and need something compatible! The specs on the bar and Stihl chain that came with it are 3/8” pitch, .058 gauge, 28”, 92 DL count. Has anyone information on what’s out there that’ll work on this saw?
In addition, I’m currently looking at a Oregon 28" .058 Gauge Bar and Full Chisel Chain for Husqvarna, 288RNDD009 / 73EXL092G
The new chain and the new bar are compatible obviously because the seller are selling both as a combo! Says it fits Husqvarna but that again brings up the question how compatible is Husqvarna made products with Jonsereds?
Someone messaged me saying Husqvarna and Jonsereds are the same. Just how true is that statement?

In addition, I’m currently looking at a Oregon 28" .058 Gauge Bar and Full Chisel Chain for Husqvarna, 288RNDD009 / 73EXL092G
The new chain and the new bar are compatible obviously because the seller are selling both as a combo! Says it fits Husqvarna but that again brings up the question how compatible is Husqvarna made products with Jonsereds?
Someone messaged me saying Husqvarna and Jonsereds are the same. Just how true is that statement?

In some (especially latter instances) very true- in others (like the vintage of your 820) very untrue.

You do not need to worry as much about compatibility, or one being the same as the other- more about bar tail mounts and stud sizes.
D024 is a mount for 10mm studs as used on some of the bigger older Jonsereds, some Oleo Mac's and some Olympyk saws.
D009 is for 9mm studs that were what Jonsered moved to once they dropped the D024 mount and studs.
As mentioned above- some D009 bars are very close to 10mm in the slot milling- some from new, some from wear.
Also mentioned above- measure your bar studs and see which you have- could be your old 10mm studs have been replaced with newer 9mm ones and allow a D009 to bolt straight up to the saw.

People convert those studs all the time....you just need to know someone with a machinist mill. You could then run Husky large mount without a thought. I've even seen the conversion studs for sale now and again.

I converted a Carlton bar once to fit on my old J'reds 80. It's not a walk in the park as most will tell you. Sure it's a DIY job, but requires some hard bit tools, some finesse and some patience. And then you wind up with a bar that won't fit but on a 10mm stud or very sloppy on a Husky large mount saw.

When Husky and Jonsered 'parallel-ed', they took the same bar;Husky large mount. On the larger cc saws....don't know about the smaller stuff.

The Jonsered 820/920 were made on the Partner assembly line when Electrolux Group AB was buying up Swede saw companies in the late 70's. They were primarily a Partner saw.....the handle is a dead giveaway. Then Electrolux bought Husky and the Jonsered 930/930 Super are mostly Husky, again except for the Partner influence handle. Electrolux bought Partner so they could eventually kill it and it became Husky and Jonsered with the saws paralleling except in handles and tanks. But there were some oddball Jonsered saws like the 2094 that was not a clone of the Husky 394. Very similar, but more of the 2094's stroke was down in the case than the 394.

Kevin

People convert those studs all the time....you just need to know someone with a machinist mill. You could then run Husky large mount without a thought. I've even seen the conversion studs for sale now and again.

I converted a Carlton bar once to fit on my old J'reds 80. It's not a walk in the park as most will tell you. Sure it's a DIY job, but requires some hard bit tools, some finesse and some patience. And then you wind up with a bar that won't fit but on a 10mm stud or very sloppy on a Husky large mount saw.

When Husky and Jonsered 'parallel-ed', they took the same bar;Husky large mount. On the larger cc saws....don't know about the smaller stuff.

Kevin

Smaller stuff they jumped on board with the K095 Husqvarna small mount- as they became more parallel amongst the two- about the 20## Jonsered saws- but then a lot of those were more Partner like than Husqvarna like- but shared the bar mounts. Cut off point from small mount to large was about 60cc.

Smaller stuff they jumper on board with the K095 Husqvarna small mount- as they became more parallel amongst the two- about the 20## Jonsered saws- but then a lot of those were more Partner like than Husqvarna like- but shared the bar mounts. Cut off point from small mount to large was about 60cc.
Good to know....I only have one saw under 80cc and that's a J'reds 621.

Kevin

Good to know....I only have one saw under 80cc and that's a J'reds 621.

Kevin
Yep the 621 at 56cc is the smallest/first of the 10mm mount saws.....all others like the 52/52E, 49SP etc. were all what we now refer to as the "Husky small Mount"

Just as an update, I measured the existing studs on my Jonsereds 820 and wouldn’t you know it, they are the 10mm version! So what are my options at this point? Purchase a bar that I can modify to accept the bigger studs? Wait for someone to sell the 9mm studs and then modify the new bar ever slightly? I have noticed a few sellers on eBay selling OEM bars and chains for the 9 mm version but I kinda like the 28” length this saw’s original bar is! I don’t use this saw very often but it’s nice to know I have it and the time when it’s needed it’ll be ready!

Bar studs for an 820 thread into the case and do not require anything like splitting the cases to remove- so you could remove the studs and take them down to a machinist, and have them turn the collar down to suit a D009 mount.
Or have a new set of studs made to suit the D009 mount and save the originals- otherwise the turned down studs will require something like a sleeve to mount original bars (not that you are likely to find many of those nowadays.)

Bar studs for an 820 thread into the case and do not require anything like splitting the cases to remove- so you could remove the studs and take them down to a machinist, and have them turn the collar down to suit a D009 mount.
Or have a new set of studs made to suit the D009 mount and save the originals- otherwise the turned down studs will require something like a sleeve to mount original bars (not that you are likely to find many of those nowadays.)
Actually Jonsered offered the necked down studs briefly. I picked up a couple sets off ebay over the but they priced were to reflect how rare they are to find!!! The first NOS set I bought went in my 910E to mount to allow me to mount a brand new 28" Cannon bar in large mount Husky.

Seems a piece of tubing with the right wall thickness could be slid on the bar studs and you could use something like a d025 mount. But you could also find a d024 mount bar how often would it be used a few companies still make them or theirs always NOS.

So if I am now looking for a set of Jonsereds D009 studs the next question is, must they be specific for just the 820? In other words, did Jonsereds make their studs different for each model? Or will a set of D009 studs work on all Jonsereds models from that specific era? I do see Jonsereds studs for sale on eBay, but most are listed with a certain model (like the 670) in mind!

So if I am now looking for a set of Jonsereds D009 studs the next question is, must they be specific for just the 820? In other words, did Jonsereds make their studs different for each model? Or will a set of D009 studs work on all Jonsereds models from that specific era? I do see Jonsereds studs for sale on eBay, but most are listed with a certain model (like the 670) in mind!
Yes the studs are the same from the 621 upward to the 90 and I believe all the 8XX and 9XX saws too (I know the 910 is the same) However don't confuse Jonsereds with Jonsered.........Jonsereds is the true brand and Jonsered is of the Husky family....IE the 670 is not a true Jonsereds. but pretty much a red Husky called a Jonsered.

Yes the studs are the same from the 621 upward to the 90 and I believe all the 8XX and 9XX saws too (I know the 910 is the same) However don't confuse Jonsereds with Jonsered.........Jonsereds is the true brand and Jonsered is of the Husky family....IE the 670 is not a true Jonsereds. but pretty much a red Husky called a Jonsered.
Exactly. The old Jonsered{s} company was great about 'families' of saws. Probably why the old models have survived this long;parts interchangeability. There were exceptions of course that had proprietary designs like the 621 and the 111/111S to just to name two. .

The 910E was the last Jonsereds engineered saw...a 'purebred'. After that it was Partner/Husky and then eventually a Husky show. It's always been unclear to me how many of the original Jonsereds engineers and employees moved into Partner/Husky and on to Husky. It's certainly something Electrolux AB never mentioned or bragged about.

Kevin

Back