Jred 2159/359 Zama bogging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the compressed air may well have (but may not have- depending on how liberal you were with it) screwed up the internal galleries.
New genuine off the shelf Zama's are not bank breakers and it might be a wise buy- A: you can swap your carb for a known good one for near the price of a repair kit- and B: You then have a spare carb for upgrading a Husqvarna 350 if you ever find one to build. :laugh:
If it is a "green cap" saw, you might want to get an old style non cat muffler for it as well.

So, pressure and vac the powerhead if you have the means to do so. (getting some age on it now and might have a leak somewhere). New Zama (genuine not a cheap flea bay copy) with the limiter caps removed. New muffler (can be cheap aftermarket) and see where that gets you.
I blew it out hard. After the diaphragms sat out overnight, they seem dry/brittle, so I'll just replace it (may have lucked out and found one locally, gotta call tomorrow). I was able to confirm it is a C3 EL42. Muffler is en route. Makes no sense having a cat on a saw, but I see new ones that are electronic/EFI. I'm going backwards with technology at this point, less computer is better in my book.

After FedEx and USPS screwing around for a week and a half, finally got my parts. To recap:
1 - saw held pressure & vac, or at least acceptably to me
2- I modded the new non cat muffler because why not
3- Dumped fuel, washed out tank, checked fuel & vent lines, all good
4- Put new carb on

Same MF problem as before zero improvement, its fuel starving when you hit the throttle. Gas cap off, same thing. Air filter off, same thing. On a whim I pull the vent line and presto! Revvs right up like how I expect it to. Didn't have the bar or chain on, called it a night. Man do I feel dumb. Just wanted to thank you fellers again!IMG_20211012_202552.jpg

After FedEx and USPS screwing around for a week and a half, finally got my parts. To recap:
1 - saw held pressure & vac, or at least acceptably to me
2- I modded the new non cat muffler because why not
3- Dumped fuel, washed out tank, checked fuel & vent lines, all good
4- Put new carb on

Same MF problem as before zero improvement, its fuel starving when you hit the throttle. Gas cap off, same thing. Air filter off, same thing. On a whim I pull the vent line and presto! Revvs right up like how I expect it to. Didn't have the bar or chain on, called it a night. Man do I feel dumb. Just wanted to thank you fellers again!View attachment 934714
Not making any sense. You said running with fuel cap off made no difference but pulling the vent line off did? Both should do the same thing, let air into the tank.

So was the vent line plugged up?
Not making any sense. You said running with fuel cap off made no difference but pulling the vent line off did? Both should do the same thing, let air into the tank.
Problem hasn't been resolved. TBH I don't think I gave it enough time w/ the cap off to richen back up/get to normal. Got back into trying to use the saw, same issue but it would run for a few minutes before pulling too much vacuum and bog/die. Vent line was clean. So I replaced the sintered vent line filter plug thinking that was it, same issue. Only thing left that I can think of is I'm getting the vent line kinked putting it back together. I needed to split my backhoe to rebuild the shuttle so the Jred's been sitting. TBD.

Back