Junkbox suggestion for dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt Galer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy,

Here is a suggestion for dealerships. You are missing a great opportunity if you do not keep an organized junkbox!

First, you need an unused space such as up in an attic or out in a shed. I know this is difficult if you are in the city and subject to space/cost considerations to an extreem degree, but look into wasted airspace possibilities.

Next, organize carefully. During off busy time place trade-in saw motors in orange crate size boxes labeled on the end with a black marker as to brand and model. Trimmers should be racked up or hung from the roof between a couple straps or ropes like putting fishing rods across the top of a camper shell in the back of a pickup. Only keep brands and models that are quite popular in your area. (Yes even if they are Poulans and Homelite trimmers, at least until you need to make more space! Parts availability is a real problem to people who own Poulan's in many areas). Do not allow the junk to just pile up. It is a hazard, you can't find anything, and the whole thing gets completely out of hand.

Mechanics can train taking two and making one during an off season, or rebuilding carburetors (tag what was done), if you wish. Your junk inventory, will save some customers a lot of money, and often on brands you do not sell. Guess where they will come next time they need anything? Price used parts at approx 50% of new part retail. You will find this is still considerable money, such as on Stihl parts. (The parts are worth one heck of a lot more than reselling the used machine!).

The future for dealerships is going to be with those who provide good service. Not just repairs, but also helping consumers.

The "junkbox" can become an important part of your buisness, tying up very little capital!

Regards,
Walt Galer

or what i have seen done was build a 8x12 shed and build some bins in the shed and label the bin and put all of the parts saws in the bins according to manufactuer. of in an extreem case like i have seen once before build a 30x40 foot barn and have different piles with different brands. i think there must have been close to 1000 parts saws in this barn.

Latest posts

Back