Just an observation on parts suppliers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Australia, recently I ordered a cylinder and piston from a well known eBay seller from the USA, described as a quality OEM replacement, I thought it's from America it should be good, paid a premium price paid way too much for postage.
I received ba farmer tec.

Shipping clone husky parts from China can easily add $100 to any order, they haven’t put propellers on bicycles yet. Lol but there bare foot doctors can cure throat cancer they make house calls with bicycles.

On the news this morning it was stated the Pre-Pandemic to ship a container overseas was $1300. Now it is $16,000.

More then a 10 fold increase has got to show up at the checkout counter.

Hutzl just made my last order missing stuff whole.
I just placed a parts order for my husky 372 that’s been on the back burner.

I went looking for some seals for a saw. Was helped here with a proper/good part# and went searching for someplace that had them. A well known small engine place showed them as "in stock". So I ordered and paid for them. That was 10/3/21. This AM (10/13/21) I get an email stating the part has just been ORDERED from THEIR SUPPLIER and will reach them in 3-5 days! Maybe it's just me, but 10 days waiting to find out they don't even have the freakin' things in stockwhen they said they did is a crappy way to do business. If I was still in the saw biz and I had a logger waiting for parts I'd be in a real pickle.This seems to be how a lot of places do business now which is why I prefer going to the old standby Ebay for most stuff. Those people seem to want to make $$$ by satisfying the customer, unlike the big place that just doesn't seem to care.
You are right Bret. It seems to be a sign of the times. The independent auto repair shop where I like to trade has only three bays. Owner told me Friday his parts delays that used to be overnight are running four to five days out. This is ruining his reputation for quick service and his cash flow.

On the news this morning it was stated the Pre-Pandemic to ship a container overseas was $1300. Now it is $16,000.

More then a 10 fold increase has got to show up at the checkout counter.

It goes up as more and more containers are being shipped back empty. Importers are paying for that and then we as consumers pay for it. We did it to ourselves by buying cheaper and not locally. It did not happen overnight either. We are all guilty no matter where we are.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

I haven't bought any chainsaws parts for 2 or 3 weeks, looks like a good time to hold off on buying anything that has to be shipped in..
I bought some parts from a company recently, they sell some good stuff so don't want to say who, paid for air freight, was sent a message a few days later, was told air freight not available so can you pay an extra $20.14 for dh shipping, paid that and they took a month to dispatch form their factory. After many emails they finally figured out I'd paid the extra shipping and dispatched, don't know how long that's going to take to get here.
Was on the farmertec website and noticed they can no longer send to Germany as customs won't clear their orders.

I’m grabbing carb boots, gaskets, p&j kits, mufflers, fuel lines what ever for most saws.

I got a new OEM MS 460 cyl kit here .
I have a brand new in the box 460 kit from Meteor along with 75%of the rest of the saw, been sitting on the shelf for 2yrs. Time to break it out and get the rest ordered, it's been so long, i have to make a grocery list of parts to complete it. Pretty sure it's less than a C-note of easily available parts. Seems like a worthy endeavor!

I am still finding chains to be at good prices. Pre-pandemic prices. I'd have thought that chains would also suffer the effects of the global slowdown and worker shortages. Must be something I don't know about. Lots of chains available, but no saws? Hmmmm.....

I already have several parts for the saws I work on most. Worked on a small Poulan saw today that only needed a chain and some fuel lines which I have covered. What might cause me problems is if a couple of the old Stihl saws, an 041 and an 031 would happen to need a coil or something..

Back