Just bought An Old Chainsaw. Info needed please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m pretty new here so bare with me. I really like old direct drive chainsaws. Have some Stihl ones, Old Poulan/Dayton, and some old Husqvarna chainsaws. Love em all.

Today I just purchased from the bay, an old Sears D-44 chainsaw. Part #
917.351061 (17in bar)
917.351071 (21in bar)
It appears to be in fantastic condition and looks brand new. Wont fully know till I have it in hand though. It has been slightly modified; the carburetor is from a McCulloch 10-10 and a bar and chain from a Homelite 330.

I do understand that original parts for this saw are very hard to acquire, but I was wondering if anyone with enough knowledge knows what other replacement/maintenance parts from other brands & badges would be compatible with this saw should I ever need them? It’s already Frankenstein’d a little bit with the carb, bar and chain. Just wondering if other saw brand companies would be compatible to put in this saw like: air filter, ignition system (points or solid state ignition) Engine parts (cylinder, piston, link) rewind and flywheel.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything useful or helpful, I’d be grateful. This will not be a primary use saw. Just an interesting collectible that I’ll run occasionally.

thanks!

Thank you for providing that. I’m going to try to dig a little deeper on the Sears parts website today after work. Yesterday evening looked the site briefly and entered the parts numbers on the saw. What comes up on the parts website is that the saw is discontinued and parts are no longer produced or available. Didn’t really provide much direction after that. At least that’s what I ran into, but I wasn’t able to really look as hard as I wanted to.
Mostly I’m wondering if any other brands/badges might have compatible parts or ones that will for the saw should I ever need to....if I just can’t fine any d-44 parts. Since the carburetor is from a McCulloch 10-10 and the bar and chain are from a Homelite 330. Those parts apparently work, so I just got curious about what else could work if ever needed.

I don’t think I’ll ever need to do very much repairs on it because I’m not going to be running it hard or really that often. Just an interesting collector item that I’ll fire up and cut with on occasions. She’s in way too nice a shape to want to dirty her up too badly, I’ve got other saws for that. Lol!

Ok, thank you. I’ll check out that number as soon as I get the saw in hand. Yeah every time I’ve looked up Sears d-44 on acres site, the McCulloch d-44 specs come up. Just makes me wish I made it simpler on myself bought a Mac d-44 instead...lol, but I’m not finding any of those right now in good enough shape for me to be comfy with.

I believe the D44 was made by Roper for Sears. The original carb would likely have been a Lauson PP one and they are difficult to find rebuild kits for, better that it has a carb swap. The Lawson carb had a check valve in the fuel inlet fitting that would dissolve in E laced fuel. I don`t know of any parts that will directly interchange but those old saws were simple to make parts for like filters. There are used parts out there for them if required.

I will apologize if advance!!!!
I’m a newbie trying to figure out how and where to post!!
Recently got a box of old greasy Mac saws.
In various states of disassembly of course!
One is missing the metal tag in the air box but it does have 1-5629 L stamped underneath. There is a 5-10 dsp cover in the box that fits the saw but probably many others too.
That number mean anything to anyone?
If I’m in the wrong place some have mercy on the newb and point him in the right direction.
thanks!

it’s not a bad question. If you’re asking, that means you’re trying.
First thing I’d do is get a few Gallons of diesel fuel, several cans of carburetor cleaner, and if you’ve got a large shop compressor with air sprayer attachments, you’ll need that.
Get them as clean as you and your can do attitude will allow, and then some.

get all the numbers on all the major parts like the placards, the mpn#’s if they are visible on all the parts, and look to see if the engine has a number on it. That probably won’t be visible on the saws if they are not separated from the saws. Google and acresinternet.com website is your friend.

I’m pretty experienced with chainsaws but I’m not a mechanical god when it comes to them. There definitely people here who can help though who are far more knowledgeable than I am.

What I would do is get them spiffed up and find all the part numbers on them, use the internet guides, try to download older parts manuals if possible, use Google, and ask the more seasoned folks in here.
You’re on the right track this far.

it’s not a bad question. If you’re asking, that means you’re trying.
First thing I’d do is get a few Gallons of diesel fuel, several cans of carburetor cleaner, and if you’ve got a large shop compressor with air sprayer attachments, you’ll need that.
Get them as clean as you and your can do attitude will allow, and then some.

get all the numbers on all the major parts like the placards, the mpn#’s if they are visible on all the parts, and look to see if the engine has a number on it. That probably won’t be visible on the saws if they are not separated from the saws. Google and acresinternet.com website is your friend.

I’m pretty experienced with chainsaws but I’m not a mechanical god when it comes to them. There definitely people here who can help though who are far more knowledgeable than I am.

What I would do is get them spiffed up and find all the part numbers on them, use the internet guides, try to download older parts manuals if possible, use Google, and ask the more seasoned folks in here.
You’re on the right track this far.
FYI I have a saw that looks very similar to that ( it is a Sears) in my inventory or junk pile if your talking to my wife! may tinker with it someday but not chomping at the bit to. If a fellow cad sufferer needed a part .........

Sure thing! Look me up if you know where I can find an old McCulloch 25
FYI I have a saw that looks very similar to that ( it is a Sears) in my inventory or junk pile if your talking to my wife! may tinker with it someday but not chomping at the bit to. If a fellow cad sufferer needed a part .........
I’m going to run my Sears saw this winter with the 30 weight oil/gas mix and kerosene like it recommends. I’m actually looking forward to that because it’s just a real trip to have a power tool that old and it still works! I didn’t buy this saw to put through any really hardcore paces but I’m still gonna crank her up and saw some logs here and there just to hear her scream!

Sure thing! Look me up if you know where I can find an old McCulloch 25

I’m going to run my Sears saw this winter with the 30 weight oil/gas mix and kerosene like it recommends. I’m actually looking forward to that because it’s just a real trip to have a power tool that old and it still works! I didn’t buy this saw to put through any really hardcore paces but I’m still gonna crank her up and saw some logs here and there just to hear her scream!

Attachments

• 31A20131-BD55-4597-9CDC-035DAAFE46A7.png
    31A20131-BD55-4597-9CDC-035DAAFE46A7.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 17
Hi everyone. I’m pretty new here so bare with me. I really like old direct drive chainsaws. Have some Stihl ones, Old Poulan/Dayton, and some old Husqvarna chainsaws. Love em all.

Today I just purchased from the bay, an old Sears D-44 chainsaw. Part #
917.351061 (17in bar)
917.351071 (21in bar)
It appears to be in fantastic condition and looks brand new. Wont fully know till I have it in hand though. It has been slightly modified; the carburetor is from a McCulloch 10-10 and a bar and chain from a Homelite 330.

I do understand that original parts for this saw are very hard to acquire, but I was wondering if anyone with enough knowledge knows what other replacement/maintenance parts from other brands & badges would be compatible with this saw should I ever need them? It’s already Frankenstein’d a little bit with the carb, bar and chain. Just wondering if other saw brand companies would be compatible to put in this saw like: air filter, ignition system (points or solid state ignition) Engine parts (cylinder, piston, link) rewind and flywheel.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything useful or helpful, I’d be grateful. This will not be a primary use saw. Just an interesting collectible that I’ll run occasionally.

thanks!
That ole girl was made by Roper , who bought the rights to make sears saws beating out David Bradley i believe. You maybe able to find a direct replacement carb, if you know what which card the saw came with new. I normally will search the web for part numbers, works most times.

Back