Just how much quicker does full chisel dull in dirty wood?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, I really don't like how slow chipper chain feels but when I need to cut up wood that's been skidded or ground in the dirt chipper chain is at the top of my list. I sharpen chains for my family and my dad and brother do dirtwork/grading, whenever they borrow a saw for any amount of cutting I know every tooth on the chain is going to have the corner wrecked from cutting dirty stuff. One other thing is I just keep cutting in certain situations, a fair bit of my "in the field" cutting is limbing, sizing, and trimming the stump/rootball off a tree an excavator has pushed over. It's not ideal cutting conditions but it's what I need the saw for, so I just do the "clean" work first and cut the stump off at the end. The trunk is usually a bit dirty where I cut but the stump's gotta come off and if it hurts the chain so be it. I don't like it, but I have 12 or so chains for my 562 so I can afford to hurt one or two every now and again.
Chipper chain and semi-chisel chain are two different animals. Chipper was discontinued in handheld chainsaw in the 1970s and was replaced by semi-chisel. Chipper was extremly slow and put much more strain on the saw than semi. I think most people have never seen chipper chain.

I think chipper may still be used on mechanized tree harvesters. We'll have to consult with some of those guys, though.
It certainly isn't in my collection of saw chains, except for the one on my old Mall chainsaw.
3/4" pitch, btw!

Back