Just order a new Supersplit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsab9191

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After splitting my firewood with a Dirtyhands 22 ton splitter for the last 7 years I’ve decided to upgrade to a Supersplit HD. The lead time is about a month so I have not yet received it. I feel like I can sell my current splitter easily for what I paid for it 7 years ago, so it has served me well. My only concern is mobility with the supersplit and didn’t know if anyone could offer suggestions . I didn’t order the factory hitch because I thought I could do better than that. I’m 66 yo and healthy but muscling the thing around is not in my best interest. I have a Polaris Ranger to tow with as well as a 45 hp tractor. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My usage is probably going to range between 12 and 20 cord a year depending upon my level of ambition . I heat my house with 5 cord and produce maple syrup with 2 cord. I will likely sell the surplus as I have in the past.

Yes, you can certainly weld up something onto the front leg of the supersplit.

I chose to bolt a 3' chunk of angle iron onto it which sticks out to the front. I use that as a lever to easily lift the front end of the splitter and hand-maneuver it around, but it is still pretty heavy - difficult to get it over rough terrain by hand, or roll it up onto my trailer.

Also the SuperSplit is a bit too low. You have to bend over just a bit, and that's hard on the back. Another 4"-6" higher would be great.

After splitting my firewood with a Dirtyhands 22 ton splitter for the last 7 years I’ve decided to upgrade to a Supersplit HD. The lead time is about a month so I have not yet received it. I feel like I can sell my current splitter easily for what I paid for it 7 years ago, so it has served me well. My only concern is mobility with the supersplit and didn’t know if anyone could offer suggestions . I didn’t order the factory hitch because I thought I could do better than that. I’m 66 yo and healthy but muscling the thing around is not in my best interest. I have a Polaris Ranger to tow with as well as a 45 hp tractor. So suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My usage is probably going to range between 12 and 20 cord a year depending upon my level of ambition . I heat my house with 5 cord and produce maple syrup with 2 cord. I will likely sell the surplus as I have in the past.
I have owned my SS for at least 20 years now. I bought it used and won't sell it until I can't split wood anymore. Moving it around is a piece of cake with my tractor or ATV. I have never had any serious wear issues with it during my ownership. I did replace the return spring once. One thing you do need to keep on hand is the small bearing under the ram. This needle bearing wears out, gums up, rusts up. I now use two ball bearings instead of that needle bearing. I buy them in 10 packs on EBay. I replaced the 4 underside bearings on the ram once. You can really split a lot of wood with this splitter and that Honda motor always starts on the 1st pull. One other upgrade I did was to buy a dual webbed V belt to replace the two V belts. I'll be changing that out as soon as my present belts wear out. One other modification I want to do is to fab up a folding leg for the front with a set of solid wheels to roll this around easier. Now that I am retired I will get that done hopefully this Summer. For bigger logs I use to quater them to get them on the splitter. I'm not doing that anymore. I bought a used North Star 34 ton horizontal/ vertical splitter with a 4 way ram and splitting the larger pieces on the ground first. Then they go onto the SS to get them down to the size I want.

I retired 5 years ago and find plenty to do around the house, 70 wooded acres provide lots of work and a surplus of firewood as I continue to try to improve the timber stand. I do weld some so a simple fab job will probably do the trick. I find people are very creative and willing to share ideas on these forums which is helpful.

Thank you sevenandeights, that was a post that I had seen a while back and couldn’t locate. I like that idea much better then the permanent nature of the OEM part Supersplit sells. Also like sandhillcrane’s 4 wheel design, but the fabrication work may be out of my league.

SHC's is a work of art and very practical for a commercial set up. Mine cost $40 and a few hours. The factory version is too low in my opinion, not adjustable and not easily removable.

Just wondering, I have read several comments in the past saying the supersplit was too low. Could one just put taller wheels on it? The taller wheels would raise the height as well as make it easier to pull or push.

Yes, it is my intention to set mine up like yours initially , the fact that I can remove the hitch by pulling a pin seems so much more practical. I would trip over the hitch all day long on the OEM set up.

As far as the height of the working surface I’ll have to see how it works for me, I’m only 5’9” so it may be okay.

Just wondering, I have read several comments in the past saying the supersplit was too low. Could one just put taller wheels on it? The taller wheels would raise the height as well as make it easier to pull or push.
Here was my solution on my old and painfully slow hydraulic and it worked perfectly-car ramps 05B0D79A-32E9-48EF-86E5-47A57D10691B.jpeg

Three SuperSplit mods.
(1) I added forklift tubes, connected by only two bolts, one in each leg.
(2) I copied the phenolic table from Kiwi.
(3) Then later removed the solid leg completely, and moved the T-axle with wheels to the table end. Then adding a modified T-axle, making it a pivoting steer axle, and wheels, to the engine end.
This allows me to move the splitter by hand much easier, to tow it, and not bury the tongue and coupler under a split wood pile. I typically tow it into near position, push it by hand, table end up to the conveyor, and remove the tongue.
Note: I have tipped it over on uneven ground, the result being a ding in the fuel tank and oil in the upper cylinder. After removing the plug several times for cleaning, it did start. A bump stop, or chain limiter on the axle pivot may reduce the chances of tipping it. Ballasting the solid axle tires could also help.
.IMG_4081.jpgIMG_4080.jpgIMG_4077.jpgIMG_4063.jpgIMG_4695.jpgIMG_0433.jpgIMG_5149.jpgIMG_5163.jpgIMG_4735.jpg

Those are very awesome modifications you have made to your Supersplit Sandhill Crane. Setting up the second set of wheels with tow bar really must simplify moving. Is That phenolic surface for sliding splits onto the conveyor or for resplitting larger rounds? You added it to reduce friction? Very nice set up !

If my SS turned over, I would weld that front axle solid so that it could not pivot.
It would not matter if only three tires touched, you are not near the capacity of the tires.

Or, you can add "blocks" that limit travel to only one inch,, then in most places, 4 tires will touch.
With so much axle movement, the SS acts like a tricycle, and turns over.

For ease of maneuvering a log splitter of any kind around a wood lot, you can't beat a ball on the FRONT of the tractor. Ease to place the splitter exactly where you want it without having to look behind you. I discovered that when I needed to get mine into tight spaces. A bit of a steering learning curve to begin with but it becomes almost automatic

I've never found the height of my SuperSplit to be an issue. Some of the older ones are definitely low. I've done a few mods to mine. Extension table with drop down legs/stabilizers, a tow hitch, and a battery powered log lift. Great machines. I've had mine about 11 years.

Turnkey, I agree . I have a ball attachment which hooks to my bucket, it perfect for placing a trailer or something like a splitter exactly where you want it.

Latest posts

Back