Just Purchased New Stihl MS462C 25" Light - Anything to consider before we get going?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience.... 40/1 Amsoil, mild muffler mod, bigger dogs, don't over bar it and
Ok I’m coming around on the higher oil ratio. Maybe I try 45:1. I’ll use up these 6 cans of Ultra then be more discriminating with future oil purchases.
Don’t Overbar? Please! I can’t go along with that. I understand it will affect sprocket wear, but that should be considered normal.
I really like the idea of double dawgs. That would help making felling cuts from either side, right? I’ll browse the forum on that debate.

High octane is more resistant to detonation. Detonation can kill a two stoke really quick and you don't hear it knocking like a four stroke. However unless it's been modified you don't need more than the 89 octane Stihl calls for. With our blender pumps I get 5 gallons of 91 because there's a gallon or so of whatever the last person pumped before it gets to what I selected, and that was probably 87. This is probably over thinking it and a can of 89 would be fine.

My favorite oil is Redline Allsport. It makes the exhaust smell better than anything else I've tried and when I tear down the engines they look really good. I avoid Amsoil due to the skeezy MLM aspect. It might be fine but having seen MLM ruin family members I don't want to encourage a company that does it.

I agree with the keep it stock and run it crowd.

It will run no doubt. But it's terrible oil and really wasn't ment for two strokes. It was designed as a band aid to fix issues Stihl was having with the 4-mix engine.
Agreed. Use a quality JASO FD oil instead. Ultra stinks and is dirty. I still buy a small pack of it to double my Stihl warranties, but I give the oil away. I don't even use it in my 4-mixes.

Ok, so we got going after all! Cut 6 long leaf pines, so we've already got one third of what we need for our project before the rains came. The saw worked great for both felling and limbing. Honestly I did not notice the weight increase. The long bar certainly made cleaning up the limbs much easier with less bending over. I feel like having the new (expensive) saw made me more careful and methodical in my approach to felling and bucking. Mostly everything went well. I had one tree lean back on my bar before I put my felling wedge in so we had to pull that one down with the tractor. The engine makes a bit of a popping / snapping sound during WOT felling. Not sure what that is all about, Hard to think about that in the middle of those cuts. Maybe it's the garbage Ultra oil.

Thanks for all the tips!

Anyone want to buy a ragged-out O28WB? ;)

I'm still pondering the double dawg improvement on the MS462.

Log Pile.jpg

Latest posts

Back