Keeping your saw clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had good success in selling a couple of saws this past year, mostly because I kept them in good shape. And Clean! Keeping them clean is a lot of work, and not as effective as I would like.

Anybody use tape to keep the front of the chassis (under the muffler) clean? This area gets saw dust blasted, and with green wood the wood chips can seem to be almost glued on with epoxy. Packaging tape, duct tape, anything else to try?

When I was selling my ms290, the caller remarked how good the saw looked. When I told him it was 10 years old, and I cut about 10 cords a year, the guy got real quiet and said, "Okay, I'll think about it and let you know". Of course I never heard from him again. Bottom line; Buyers like clean used saws.

I just give my saws a shop shower after I'm done cutting. when done regularly they stay pretty clean, Idea being not to give the crud time to build up. I'll also pull the bar off and clean the rails, clutch cover, grease the bearing, etc. That's been my formula thus far and It's worked pretty good not too time consuming.

I just give my saws a shop shower after I'm done cutting. when done regularly they stay pretty clean, Idea being not to give the crud time to build up. I'll also pull the bar off and clean the rails, clutch cover, grease the bearing, etc. That's been my formula thus far and It's worked pretty good not too time consuming.

Yeah, I do all that too. Still the front of the chassis is not as clean as I would like, and it is a fair bit of work.

Sounds like nobody here has ever considered masking the area with tape. I'm thinking of doubling up with packing tape. It would be nice if that tape held up over several cutting sessions.
I'd have to think that when it gets warm, you will have a gooey mess that will be a PITA to get removed. Try it on a cheapo saw first.

Rub a bar of soap, or a candle over the front of your cases if it really bothers you that they take a bit of a pounding up there.
I look at it a bit differently, they are tools meant to be used and finish is cosmetic, looks good on the dealers display rack- but soon as you buy it, the saw earns its keep and displays its time in use with honour. :laugh:

If buyers want a showroom saw- tell them to go buy a new one. If they want a clean used saw- I will sell them one. Paint might be discoloured at the front of the cases, but if I'm selling it- the saw will be clean and not covered in residual tape adhesive. ;)

Sounds like nobody here has ever considered masking the area with tape. I'm thinking of doubling up with packing tape. It would be nice if that tape held up over several cutting sessions.
Try getting some of that stone guard that they apply to areas of cars and trucks that see a lot of stone chips. It's an adhesive film "tape", just in bigger pieces.

I try to keep inside the airbox spotless and also give the clutch area some attention, keep an eye on the cooling fins, And anything caked on the outside. Every few sharpenings the bar groove gets cleaned and sometimes bar dressed.

I find after getting most of the crap out of the airbox a hose down with starting fluid works good, as it washes out remaining dust and washes off the oil which makes the crap stick.

Every once in a while I'll take the saw down and pull the clutch and flywheel and give everything a good clean up. Thick stuff scraped and brushed then out comes the parts brush and diesel followed by soapy water.

Sort of like this, 038 and 026

all cleaned up.jpg1 clean 026.jpg

I try to keep inside the airbox spotless and also give the clutch area some attention, keep an eye on the cooling fins, And anything caked on the outside. Every few sharpenings the bar groove gets cleaned and sometimes bar dressed.

I find after getting most of the crap out of the airbox a hose down with starting fluid works good, as it washes out remaining dust and washes off the oil which makes the crap stick.

Every once in a while I'll take the saw down and pull the clutch and flywheel and give everything a good clean up. Thick stuff scraped and brushed then out comes the parts brush and diesel followed by soapy water.

Sort of like this, 038 and 026

View attachment 973691
I have yet to try the "Blackberry Flavored Brandy" as a chainsaw cleaner...
Am I missing something special?

If you feel the need to hermetically seal your chainsaws in SpoogeGuard® ShrinkWrap

30874ef2ffa71ae7d45968374f3f92e0.jpg
81COz8BPabL._AC_SY355_.jpg

...you may not be using them as their manufacturers intended.
Just sayin

Every time I think I've seen or heard it all..

Chainsaws start getting taped to stay clean..

If you feel the need to hermetically seal your chainsaws in SpoogeGuard® ShrinkWrap

...you may not be using them as their manufacturers intended.
Just sayin

I buy my saws to use. Zero interest in changing anything I do just to make the next owner happy.

1647480353178.png

This site is over represented by little old men. :laughing:

You're the one who put your ideas out there in public, don't cry about it when you get honest responses back.

There was another guy who painted and wrapped his saw, monkeyed with the insides, and put weird bearings in it, and asked for a valuation of the saw. A lot of people told him numbers he didn't like, and he got rather upset about it too.

That's the way of the internet, if you don't want an answer, don't ask the question.

Back