Keeping your saw clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rub a bar of soap, or a candle over the front of your cases if it really bothers you that they take a bit of a pounding up there.
I look at it a bit differently, they are tools meant to be used and finish is cosmetic, looks good on the dealers display rack- but soon as you buy it, the saw earns its keep and displays its time in use with honour. :laugh:

If buyers want a showroom saw- tell them to go buy a new one. If they want a clean used saw- I will sell them one. Paint might be discoloured at the front of the cases, but if I'm selling it- the saw will be clean and not covered in residual tape adhesive. ;)

Okay

Exactly old bean- any saw I am likely to be selling is never going to be taped, so will not have any tape residue left on it.
And that is exactly what I typed- if you want to go to the trouble of duct taping, packing tape taping anything you own- you just go right along and do it- whatever rings your bells.
I merely stated what I might do and it looks like several others agree with that statement.
You appear to have read into it what you want it to say- you don't carve wood do you by chance?

If someone agrees with you, then you are the smart one. It is all about the tape residue, nasty nasty stuff, right?

:ices_rofl:

You really seem to have not been open to other ideas shared by others throughout this thread did you?
Like I said, you own them and if you wish to dress them up in sticky tape- you are free to do so, heck be extra brave and take them out in the snow and cut some wood with them even.

I clean my saws maliciously almost after every use ,sometimes I'm out in tbe wood shed till dark .
Mostly because debris is weight and extra weight is extra work when your cutting all day or lugging an old heavy mag saw ( which I like to drop trees with) . I imagine that we've all worked on a saw with saw cake an inch thick on it , after a good cleaning it actually weighs less! Which is going to pay off in production.
Aesthetic appeal aside if your not cleaning your saws your making yourself work harder, but appearance can tell you alot on how someone used the tool before you.

Na, you got that wrong- I don't fear any tape residue, because there is no tape near any of my saws.
Maybe you could get a spray can of that sheep wool oil to spray on your saws and polish them up real nice- have seen that suggested elsewhere on here.

Are you sure? That excess tape residue can jump distances. I'd move any tape to another room, into a locked cabinet. Can't be to safe when it comes to tape residue. :rolleyes:

Even gasoline doesn't work. I often have to take a flat blade, like a puddy knife to knock it down. I'm pretty sure some tape is going to make a big difference. Amazing the grannies here get all agitated at proposing putting 3 inches of tape on a saw. Yeesh....
Simple Green works great for cleaning other gunk off saws but the denatured alcohol has been best for sap as it will dissolve it. I use DA on my vehicles and other things that have gotten pine sap on them...

Are you sure? That excess tape residue can jump distances. I'd move any tape to another room, into a locked cabinet. Can't be to safe when it comes to tape residue. :rolleyes:
I can't see tape working all the well. For starters it won't be too durable given chips hitting it, brush impacting it, etc. Plus you can't put tape on the recoil cover. That fir sap just gets everywhere, nit just the oil tank area.

I can't see tape working all the well. For starters it won't be too durable given chips hitting it, brush impacting it, etc. Plus you can't put tape on the recoil cover. That fir sap just gets everywhere, nit just the oil tank area.
Don’t forget to tape up the muffler. Mine gets a lot of burned sap on it.

This entire thread was like a car wreck, I didnt want to look, but I had to.
Every time I think I've seen or heard it all..

Chainsaws start getting taped to stay clean..
This entire thread was like a car wreck, I didnt want to look, but I had to.

I clean my saws maliciously almost after every use ,sometimes I'm out in tbe wood shed till dark .
Mostly because debris is weight and extra weight is extra work when your cutting all day or lugging an old heavy mag saw ( which I like to drop trees with) . I imagine that we've all worked on a saw with saw cake an inch thick on it , after a good cleaning it actually weighs less! Which is going to pay off in production.
Aesthetic appeal aside if your not cleaning your saws your making yourself work harder, but appearance can tell you alot on how someone used the tool before you.

That extra sawdust really kicks my asz too...

Now I know I've heard it all 😂😂😂😂

Back