Keeping your saw clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So . . . the tape residue is made in Germany?

Philbert
Must be. Under warranty?

The tape residue is pretty noticeable, maybe spray some fluid film on it instead. Armor all might work too.
Yes. Very noticeable. And I am very very worried. How long do I have before it eats thru the casing and destroys the chainsaw handle?

Most here either don't own saws or only cut a single cord a year. Keeping a saw clean is simple even if it is a 500i still in the original box. Some can even clean them up by blowing on them for a half second or less. Or so they claim... :ices_rofl:

All the pitch from cutting the local Ponderosa pines, cedars, and firs forms a protective layer over my saws.

I'm only half joking about the pitch. After awhile, I'll clean the saws off with a bit more than compressed air, and the mag bits are all nice and shiny. The plastic does get abused though.

I'll mention again... Simple Green for most of the crud and denatured alcohol for the rest... sap in particular. These products won't replace the worn paint; smooth out the scratches; unmelt plastic; restore the bar groove, rim sprocket or roller tip; or uncrack plastic; but they will clean the saw! ;)

I'll mention again... Simple Green for most of the crud and denatured alcohol for the rest... sap in particular. These products won't replace the worn paint; smooth out the scratches; unmelt plastic; restore the bar groove, rim sprocket or roller tip; or uncrack plastic; but they will clean the saw! ;)
What mix on the simple green?

Blowing the saw off with an air chuck is about as detailed as I'll get on a runner, but every now and again I'll rinse off smaller parts in the solvent tank. In my opinion, I'll keep my equipment in good working order and I certainly won't try to damage them, but cosmetic flaws are just that, cosmetic. Am I worried about the resale value of my saws? Nope, I'm going to run and rebuild them until there's nothing left or something way better comes along. Plus, since I'm in CA o pe will be worth big $ after selling new stuff gets banned, regardless of its condition!

Every time I wrap the saw with Saran wrap I check out my handy work and see a spot of sap on the saw and I have to unwrap the saw and get the tooth brush and secret cleaner out and clean and re wrap I started out in the morning and never got any fire wood cut because of the end less wrappng unwrapping and cleaning.The old lady is ******** shes cold and we have been out of wood for two weeks.I have the saw diassembelled and all the parts in the giant ultra sonic cleaner and have my fingers crossed when I reassemble the saw and shrink wrap it tomorrow I wont spot any specks under the wrap.I am at the point where I might just say to hell with cleaning and Ill just buy a brand new saw a Poulan Wild thing with a 32 inch light weight bar and go cut those 8 inch cotton woods.
Kash

Back