Kids ascending

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I send my 7yo daughter up on MRT but have to pull her most of the way. She can’t footlock and had a hard time thrusting. Does anyone have their kids go up the tree and what type of devices are they using?

I started them off using a blakes they had to tend themselves and a hand ascender with a loop of rope for a foot hold, showed them how to use it on the ground, then got them to take it out when hanging just off the ground, once they had that sorted, and were proficient, we moved up to a self tending VT and added a foot ascender to the mix, and off they went, still kept belay tho as they were young then. Then once they had that sorted I made up a hass system that they want to use all the time now :) .
now they are older, they should be practicing foot locking, and tending their own hitch again hehe.

Great time with your children teaching them knots and rope work, and the confidence they gain from it and the time together, its great.

pm sent with some pics.

A foot ascender, knee ascender, or hand ascender with foot loop should do it.

We love doing this at family cookouts and outdoor parties. Around that age and under I usually set a friction saver or pulley and just pull the kids up and lower them on a Petzl Grigri, Trango Cinch, or similar belay device attached to my own saddle. I don’t really use my arms to pull them up, but use my body weight. Squat then take up the slack through the belay device when standing back up.

Older kids and adults learn MRS with body thrust or a foot ascender.

Encourage her to try body thrusting more though, don’t give up just yet. Use a friction saver, pulley and sling, or some other false crotch that does not add a bunch of friction at the TIP. Finding a good rhythm will payoff more than brute upper strength, and most kids can learn it after a little practice.

If the kid is having trouble taking up their slack one handed with the Blake’s and pulley to tend it, maybe try a VT. Gobbles up slack real easy and still grabs reliably. I’ll probably bring a ZigZag for next time, it’s pretty effortless to tend, and easy to use.

I’m always sad to turn away the kids that show up in flipflops. If they’re in shorts and don’t mind the possible risk of little scratches on the legs, I’m ok with it too, but I gotta draw the line at ripping off toenails. I usually remind my bros and cousins to put sneakers or hikers on their kiddos before the party.

I started them off using a blakes they had to tend themselves and a hand ascender with a loop of rope for a foot hold, showed them how to use it on the ground, then got them to take it out when hanging just off the ground, once they had that sorted, and were proficient, we moved up to a self tending VT and added a foot ascender to the mix, and off they went, still kept belay tho as they were young then. Then once they had that sorted I made up a hass system that they want to use all the time now :) .
now they are older, they should be practicing foot locking, and tending their own hitch again hehe.

Great time with your children teaching them knots and rope work, and the confidence they gain from it and the time together, its great.

pm sent with some pics.
That’s awesome Trains! Thank you for the PM.
Yeah, the hand ascender with a foot loop sounds like the next step. That seems like something that she could do by her own strength to get her in the tree
She can’t footlock yet and pulling herself up with bare hands works for a little while but she can’t get far.
What saddle do they use? We got a Sequoia (not sure the model though) and it seems to be working great.

A foot ascender, knee ascender, or hand ascender with foot loop should do it.

We love doing this at family cookouts and outdoor parties. Around that age and under I usually set a friction saver or pulley and just pull the kids up and lower them on a Petzl Grigri, Trango Cinch, or similar belay device attached to my own saddle. I don’t really use my arms to pull them up, but use my body weight. Squat then take up the slack through the belay device when standing back up.

Older kids and adults learn MRS with body thrust or a foot ascender.

Encourage her to try body thrusting more though, don’t give up just yet. Use a friction saver, pulley and sling, or some other false crotch that does not add a bunch of friction at the TIP. Finding a good rhythm will payoff more than brute upper strength, and most kids can learn it after a little practice.

If the kid is having trouble taking up their slack one handed with the Blake’s and pulley to tend it, maybe try a VT. Gobbles up slack real easy and still grabs reliably. I’ll probably bring a ZigZag for next time, it’s pretty effortless to tend, and easy to use.

I’m always sad to turn away the kids that show up in flipflops. If they’re in shorts and don’t mind the possible risk of little scratches on the legs, I’m ok with it too, but I gotta draw the line at ripping off toenails. I usually remind my bros and cousins to put sneakers or hikers on their kiddos before the party.
Great info Bango! I’ll keep encouraging her in the thrusting department She is using MRT with hitch climber pulley and VT Prusik. The only negative thing about the VT is the length. She can’t reach far enough above it to pull down and gain distance. I wish someone manufactured good grip kids gloves!!

Latest posts

Back