Killing small tree roots after cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcsman

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a number of small trees and bushes I am cutting back, close to the ground. I am looking for something to put on the small stump that's left to finish killing it and the roots. I would like some suggestions what I can purchase to do the trick. I just don't want them coming back every year and having to trim again. Thanks for any help...

I have a number of small trees and bushes I am cutting back, close to the ground. I am looking for something to put on the small stump that's left to finish killing it and the roots. I would like some suggestions what I can purchase to do the trick. I just don't want them coming back every year and having to trim again. Thanks for any help...
I cut close enough to the ground to mow over. Anything that sprouts back up, hit it with Round-up.
I "had" a lot of privet on the fencerows and it's almost all gone now.

What kind of shrubbery are you cutting, that could make a difference in what to use.

As per the label, a stump treatment of glyphosate (Roundup) concentrate will prevent regrowth. Apply the concentrate directly from the bottle with a paintbrush, by carefully pouring it on, or with this device: https://naisma.org/product/buckthorn-blaster/. Apply to a fresh cut, it won't work very well with an old cut. If it's a big stump you only need to treat the outer few inches where the live tissue is. This works on everything from bittersweet vines to large trees. Grape vines might take a couple of treatments because of the prodigious sap flow.

Seasonal timing is important here especially if plant/tree is deciduous and comes into play for evergreens, your best to apply tree killer poison during spring early summer,, check the chems labels for guidance.
As well if can apply to the plants foliage prior to removal you'll get better application / absorption

Next time kill them before you cut them, way easier.
This works well ^. I use Triclopyr because that's what I have on hand and it sounds like a Japanese movie monster. Mixed with diesel fuel for trees I want to take down. If I have to cut a live tree I paint it on the cambium layer (straight from the container) and let it drool down on the sides of the remaining stump immediately after cutting.

I cut bushes back to about 10" then dig up the whole root ball with a mattock. If there are any stray roots I then do my best to pull them up with out breaking them.
If they are small trees, I cut them off with a chainsaw close to the ground the use a large axe to demolish the stump to about 5" below the ground. I then do the same with stray roots or cut them with the axe.
I then fill the hole with soil and top with grass seeds (optional).

Yl
Copper roofing nails hammered around the base of the stump is an effective way to kill off stumps. It may be a tad slower than chemicals but it's not detrimental to the environment. The purer the copper, the more sulphate will bleed into the roots. If the stumps are less than 10" diameter however, I'd do what tomalophicon suggested and dig them out. (A sharp spade and axe)

I cut close enough to the ground to mow over. Anything that sprouts back up, hit it with Round-up.
I "had" a lot of privet on the fencerows and it's almost all gone now.

What kind of shrubbery are you cutting, that could make a difference in what to use.
Pure Ammonium nitrate fertilizer will kill most plants trees it’s relatively safe and cheap .

Saw Brier roots? I've been digging them up. I'm wondering IF MAYBE I drill into one of those tater looking roots and dribble Round up straight into the hole IF that might migrate to the rest of the root system and send all of them to Plant Heaven ????

Saw Brier roots? I've been digging them up. I'm wondering IF MAYBE I drill into one of those tater looking roots and dribble Round up straight into the hole IF that might migrate to the rest of the root system and send all of them to Plant Heaven ????
IF you use the right RoundUp product. It will need to be about 30% to be effective. Also depends on the species of plant. Do it as quickly after cutting as possible.

Tordon is another very effective cut stump herbicide and is generally readily available in the 1 quart ready to use bottle.

Paint fresh cut stump during warm season and into warm part of day no rain totally reaching for a foliar feed mix to get slurped up instead by direct open vascular type logic. Fresh, still viable, unoxidized/soon as cut sharp cut to open vessel straw. Allow Nature to then work it in. Just as if sprouts foliar feed to same considerations and leave to die out/slurp all possible over time, w/o trimming later.

Pure Ammonium nitrate fertilizer will kill most plants trees it’s relatively safe and cheap .
I can't buy that anymore. Not since Timothy McVey. I think it's still available for industrial use however. It is generally used in nitrate socks for blasting. I used to side dress my tobacco fields with 34-0-0 years ago. Was relatively cheap back in those days and did a great job if applied properly. OT

Back