Kiln baskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone built / used a kiln basket for moving wood or loading a trailer ? Im thinking about building one for moving and loading wood. I think I read that a cord is 180 cf tossed. So a 90 CF basket with one side that swings open like a dump truck. I will put fork pockets on bottom or weld a quick attach plate on it. it looks like it will help with less touches. The plan is to split into it then dump in a pile so I can keep track of how many cords I have in a pile and I can load it with grapple and then use to load into dump trailer. Should save a lot of time if I dont have to stack in trailer every time I deliver wood. Do any of you have a set up like this ???

Has anyone built / used a kiln basket for moving wood or loading a trailer ? Im thinking about building one for moving and loading wood. I think I read that a cord is 180 cf tossed. So a 90 CF basket with one side that swings open like a dump truck. I will put fork pockets on bottom or weld a quick attach plate on it. it looks like it will help with less touches. The plan is to split into it then dump in a pile so I can keep track of how many cords I have in a pile and I can load it with grapple and then use to load into dump trailer. Should save a lot of time if I dont have to stack in trailer every time I deliver wood. Do any of you have a set up like this ???
Good idea, if you pump out a lot of wood, they'll be worth building. Quick transfer/ loading/ unloading wood *and splitting wood fast) is the key to efficiency. I use totes but still have to unload by hand into the truck at the yard or unload by hand at the customers. I dont think totes would stand up to an oscillating forklift because they'll contort when unloading

Good idea, if you pump out a lot of wood, they'll be worth building. Quick transfer/ loading/ unloading wood *and splitting wood fast) is the key to efficiency. I use totes but still have to unload by hand into the truck at the yard or unload by hand at the customers. I dont think totes would stand up to an oscillating forklift because they'll contort when unloading
I have unloaded the totes but they end up breaking - if you shake them with skid loader after a few times

You can buy stackable pallets with tall legs, often used to move construction items, like system scaffolding, from job to job. You could add sides or gates. For the volume they are they are probably cost prohibitive for loose thrown firewood.
Might depend where you live, how available they are and range, or volume pricing.

Back