Labonville Full wrap chaps-anything better out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditt007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picking up my first set of chaps-I was looking at the labonville full wrap 10 ply (competition) ones. I figure if i'm going to be hot in 6ply 10ply is not going to be much worse (is this correct!?) Also I was wondering if anyone knows of a better set/more protection? I know that you measure from your waist to the top of your feet. But i hear people saying "add two inches" is this correct or is that said b/c people inevitably use their inseam-which isn't correct measuring to begin with?

Being new and always having murphy's law hanging around, I want the best. The vast majority of my cutting will be walking down a trail, putting on my chaps and taking care of a storm fell branch/tree, then removing the chaps and walking to the next obstacle. I dont see myself wearing them for long extended cutting sessions.

Labonnville makes a very good product. The 10 ply is probably overkill for what your doing. You are right they will be very hot in the summer, and awkward to walk around in, but if your just putting them on then taking them off I don't see an issue. Ordering slightly longer isnt going to hurt, worse case they cover down to your ankles.

I have both the 6 ply full wrap Labonville and a pair of Stihl homeowner chaps that zip up.

The Stihl are good when it's warm as I wear them over shorts and the nylon protects my legs from the scrub I'm usually cutting in.

You don't have to remove the Labonville full-wraps. What works for me is to just unfasten the clips down along the legs, and let things dry while filing, walking, whatever. Make 'em click and fire it up.

The labonville are the way to go. I am a competitor and a logger. I have both.the comp. ones weigh 2x's the weight of the pro ones.

I've got the 6 ply Labonville chaps. They are very comfortable and easy on and off. During warm weather, they're warm but the protection is worth it.

I have the Labonville full wrap competition chaps. Never owned any other so have nothing to compare to. Their website used to have a video demonstration of chainsaw vs. chaps. I bought them from a review on one of these sites saying they were the best. They are hot but I don't care, I want the protection. Read stats on chainsaw injuries (average 110 stitches). Nice to see you are getting chaps, whatever the brand.

I think the 6-ply would be all that I would want. Anything hotter than the ones I have would be tough to handle in the Summer heat IMO.

I have the Labonville wrap chaps. I've only used Labonville and have only had two pair in the last 10 years. The first pair was still good when I gave up my logging career and I'm sure some other feller is wearing them today.

The 10 ply will be a lot heavier, and to me it's overkill for what you describe. If I were you, I'd get the 6 ply.

Don't over think the length -- measure from your belt to the top of your work boot, and use that number to pick a size (go no longer than that number).

Well I went with the 10 ply and figured if they did seem to be way too heavy and bulky i would return for the 6 ply. Just trying them on they didnt seem bad at all. I think i will stick with these 10 ply. I was expecting much worse from what i heard about the competition ones! I didnt measure the actual chaps, but they fit exactly how i thought they would when taking the measurements. Anyway they are my first pair of chaps and I have yet to actually use them, I will definitely give a review. Which may be in a few months, but i'll be sure to post back up about them. Thanks for all the help guys.

Latest posts

Back