Ladder question ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeman088

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally got my chainsaw mill pretty much done . I want to use my old wood ladder sections . One section measures 10 foot ,the other is 12 foot both are 16 inches wide. The ladders works nice for stability for the bigger Granberg chainsaw mill attachment but the ladders will sag or dip in the middle of the cut when using a bigger saw. I have been down this road before and want to eliminate the problem.

The question I have is what is the best way to eliminate this sag in the middle of the ladder sections. I am thinking about adding more wood of course ( ripped 2x4s) but which way is best going length wise or cross ways in the same direction as the rungs ???

Anyone interested in seeing my creation I made to mill small to medium size logs under 2t. diameter? It is different from the usual homemade , shop project type mills.

Thanks

The first cut off most logs is of little value so sometimes I do this.
Its but more of a nuisance on longer logs when using ladders because that means more cuts are needed to fit all the rungs
However it does produce the most stable use for a ladder.
layout.jpg
The other thing you can do is make yourself an anti-ladder-sag gizmo that looks like this.
It's basically two chunky wedges and an Al strap,
On the RHS of the strap you dill a bunch of holes in a line almost the strap so you can adjust the position of teh RH wedge.
You need to cut a slot in the trunk to suit the strap with but that's no biggie.
Laddersag.png
My unistruts

Could setup something off 2 rungs on the ladder like this idea. A threaded rod to adjust and apply resistance as the saw approaches the middle. As you get to the rod remove it, cut, and replace as soon as you’re by it. 3406B7C4-F305-4C5C-9A8D-27E317F5DB9E.jpegA8629F07-E863-49D3-B50F-DF90C0D8F5B2.jpeg6D4D22A3-DB5D-4FE5-A853-780E95F7A69C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back