Landscaping under a silver maple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philipshari

Reaction score
Hi. I have a silver maple tree in my front yard. Approx30 ft high, 2.5 ft diameter at the trunk. Last year I created a sitting area under the tree, removing existing mulch and creating a retaining wall( about 7-8 inches high) around the tree (22 ft. diameter) with barrier matting to keep weeds out and placed 1/4 inch river rock on top of this in place of mulch that was constantly being dragged into the house.
Question: Even though the barrier matting is porous and lets water through, can this combination of barrier/stone be bad for the tree? This year the tree dropped an awful lot of seeds compared to past years and seems to be less leaf populated that past years. Did I create a bad situation?
Any opinions, please.
Thank You
Philip Baney

Is it possible that you may be confused between diameter and circumference?
7-8" wall around the maple, is it filled with 1/4 stone?
No. Both measurements are diameter. Thru the tree and thru the sitting area, 2.5 ft. for tree and 22 ft. for sitting area. The stone is approx 2 inches deep. The height of the retaining wall is irrelevant, it was made to keep the stone inside the sitting area. My dogs play and were pushing the stone out of the sitting area onto the grass.

OK, it seems a bit odd to have a 30" silver maple only 30ft tall unless it's been topped. A ring of stone 2" deep is not a big concern. When trees cycle into a heavy seed production year. Energy is spent on the seeds less on leaf. The tree will catch up and fill out the crown over the course of the season.

The silver maple goes through cycles where it puts out lots of seeds. (helicopters) LOL. Your stone /weed mat shouldn't be a problem. My silver maples seemed to be slow to leaf out this year. Must be our crazy york co weather this year.

Back