large branches 12 inch diameter over house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incogiam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI. I am new to site and started tree removal business three years ago. What is the best way to remove branches overhanging house.Thank you.

Rig them down...if nothing above, sometimes that means small pieces with redirects to the rigging.
Crane - whether traditional or grapple saw.

NEVER with a bucket truck that isn't designed for use as a crane (very few are).

But regardless, it starts with learning from somebody who knows how!

Any competent tree removal business should know how to remove trees....kinda goes with the name, don't you think..... ?
Licensed, insured, etc?
If you aren't familiar with rigging, on the job over a customers roof is not the place to be learning on your own....
cutting little pieces bending them over into basket then cutting bark to release
Uhhhhhh........ Ohhhkaaay.......
iwlZZ85.gif

I am insured. Never had someone to teach me. I have just finished a 21 tree removal for local town. 3rd year in business,15 year cutting firewood for home each year. I just know i could be more efficient. My truck has a jib,but as far as rigging goes i'm lost.

Get yourself the following if you have no rigging kit already, which by the sounds of it, you don't.

1 x https://www.wesspur.com/items/kit09.html
Couple of rigging rings from https://wesspur.com/slings/rigging-ring-slings.html are real nice to have as well

First...look around on YouTube...there's some pretty good rigging videos. Make sure you watch enough so that you know the difference between people that know what they're doing, and those that don't. Make sure you understand how to setup and use the port-a-wrap, it's not necessarily obvious how it works. Learn how to set up and use the loopie/woopie/deadeye slings.

Make sure you understand how friction and rigging forces are exerted on the tree. Know how trees are the strongest. Wood is strong in compression, not as strong in tension. Try to keep your rigging forces in compression. Understanding that will help you set your rigging in the tree to give you the best possible outcome. Look up and understand negative rigging. Look up and understand log weights. Look up and understand dynamic loads.

Learn how to tie a half hitch and a running bowline if you don't already know how.

IMO it would be smart to rig some trees that are not hazardous to homes first and get the feel for it before doing a dangerous rigging job that could cause damages.

First...look around on YouTube...there's some pretty good rigging videos. Make sure you watch enough so that you know the difference between people that know what they're doing, and those that don't. Make sure you understand how to setup and use the port-a-wrap, it's not necessarily obvious how it works. Learn how to set up and use the loopie/woopie/deadeye slings.

There are also some REALLY bad YouTube videos out there - from people who have a lot of followers and act like they know what they are doing.

I'd recommend starting with a more reliable source: Art and Science of Practical Rigging. https://wwv.isa-arbor.com/store/product/160/

Series 2 of the Working Climber videos includes Rigging: https://www.wesspur.com/videos/tree-climbing-videos.html

I am insured. Never had someone to teach me. I have just finished a 21 tree removal for local town. 3rd year in business,15 year cutting firewood for home each year. I just know i could be more efficient. My truck has a jib,but as far as rigging goes i'm lost.
Insured, but no licensing or certifications? Getting some real training will go a long way in getting real work.
Doing municipal work is low bid stuff usually. If you can start a saw you're hired.
Cutting firewood in no way prepares you for doing arborist work. Proper training and techniques can really make the job safer and go much faster.
A jib? As in a crane? You have a crane operators license?

There are also some REALLY bad YouTube videos out there - from people who have a lot of followers and act like they know what they are doing.

I'd recommend starting with a more reliable source: Art and Science of Practical Rigging. https://wwv.isa-arbor.com/store/product/160/

Series 2 of the Working Climber videos includes Rigging: https://www.wesspur.com/videos/tree-climbing-videos.html
Absolutely. Both of those are great options, but if a guy knows enough to know what's good advice and what's not...YouTube is a good free resource.

Oh **** my life, Holiday Inn Express gives you a good night's sleep, too, but I am about tired of guys suggesting a few YouTube videos and a Google search turns you into an arborist, or climber, or, well, anything. There is only one way to learn this job, and that is on the ground, or in the tree... and I'm sorry, but anyone that suggests otherwise is full of ****. To suggest to the OP that a portawrap and a couple slings, and a couple YouTube videos is good enough borders on unethical... we are better than that... or should be. To the OP, we are here to help you. Start over, show us your equipment, show us the job, and we can give you better advice. You say you have a bucket with a jib, but that doesn't make sense. We may just be misunderstanding you. Good luck and stay safe.

You say you have a bucket with a jib, but that doesn't make sense. We may just be misunderstanding you. Good luck and stay safe.
Old power company truck.....many have small jibs to lift and set power poles.....
Here is an older one, you can see the lift point next to the bucket.
http://twentywheels.com/view/22221-1995_ford_f___series__material_handling_jib__winch.html
Hardly what you'd want for tree work though.....not enough lift capacity, and certainly won't handle any shock load from a falling limb of any size.

Old power company truck.....many have small jibs to lift and set power poles.....
Here is an older one, you can see the lift point next to the bucket.
http://twentywheels.com/view/22221-1995_ford_f___series__material_handling_jib__winch.html
Hardly what you'd want for tree work though.....not enough lift capacity, and certainly won't handle any shock load from a falling limb of any size.
I know, buddy, I was going to be easier on him... I'm really trying to turn over a new leaf...

thanks for the advice. i will get the port-a-wrap and some slings. i have a tree at home to practice on.
Get on youtube 1st. Besides watching professionals who know what they're doing, als watch "tree fails"
You'll find there are many to watch - because there are many failures.
Don't pay for your education with your life.

Any competent tree removal business should know how to remove trees....kinda goes with the name, don't you think..... ?
Licensed, insured, etc?
If you aren't familiar with rigging, on the job over a customers roof is not the place to be learning on your own....

Uhhhhhh........ Ohhhkaaay.......
iwlZZ85.gif
Hey look at it this way, if all goes wrong you can diversify your business to include roof repair, LOL!

Thanks for the good advice. I suppose some of you where born knowing everything,others gotta learn and for that we need people willing to help and give good advice. Will post pic of truck in a couple days.

Thanks for the good advice. I suppose some of you where born knowing everything,others gotta learn and for that we need people willing to help and give good advice. Will post pic of truck in a couple days.
None of us were "born with it." We learned it, through training and experience. We started literally from the ground up... dragging brush, feeding chippers, learning to run a saw properly, learning rigging, watching, and doing our apprenticeships... this is a trade, just like any other, and takes years to learn. Not to be rude, but it sounds to me like you decided to just buy a truck and start a business, with zero respect for the industry. Doesn't mean we won't help you, but you really are doing things backwards, and based on statistics, you are headed towards a catastrophic failure that just won't end well, for you or your customer.

Latest posts

Back