large branches 12 inch diameter over house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the good advice. I suppose some of you where born knowing everything,others gotta learn and for that we need people willing to help and give good advice. Will post pic of truck in a couple days.
We were not born knowing everything, but we did not start a business and charge customers saying that we knew what to do, wise up before you make an ass of yourself, sorry to be harsh, it is what is what is.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day!

And not to throw embers on a fire, but if you think this site is too harsh, you wouldn't last a day on a real jobsite... this business is unforgiving, and it carries over to the work. I understand you have worked yourself into a bit of a corner, but that ain't our fault, and a wise man would recognize that.

sorry if i came off the wrong way. I have been in business 4 years and booked for almost 6 months out. I was just looking for ways to be more effecient.

I've been in the tree removal business for 2 years I feel your pain. I also have a full time job because as of right now i can't quite make a living on what business i get. But I have done a lot of reading, learning to climb, learning knots, learning rigging, I'm taking it slow but learning every step of the way. I don't have a bucket truck. I've been climbing. I've spent the last 2 years digging in and learning this stuff. I tend to stick to very safe removals. Even if I can cut it down at the trunk I still climb it just so I can get better at taking down a tree top down and felling branches and guiding them as best I can to a safe and more gentle landing. Plus getting practice for my ground help so he can get better. Those links to the right equipment are useful. Dont just go to home depot and buy a 300 pound rated rope.

Get on youtube 1st. Besides watching professionals who know what they're doing, als watch "tree fails"
You'll find there are many to watch - because there are many failures.
Don't pay for your education with your life.

Thanks for the laughs, although in my misspent youth, I am lucky I did not "star" in such videos. "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement"

I was just looking for ways to be more effecient.
Working efficiently is essential to succeeding in almost any business. But it is difficult to learn on one's own the tricks to working efficiently. The number of mistakes made along the way to being self-taught can kill the business, if not kill you. Training, either through professionally run courses or by working for someone who is experienced and highly skilled, is the best way to learn how to be efficient.

None of us were "born with it." We learned it, through training and experience. We started literally from the ground up... dragging brush, feeding chippers, learning to run a saw properly, learning rigging, watching, and doing our apprenticeships... this is a trade, just like any other, and takes years to learn. Not to be rude, but it sounds to me like you decided to just buy a truck and start a business, with zero respect for the industry. Doesn't mean we won't help you, but you really are doing things backwards, and based on statistics, you are headed towards a catastrophic failure that just won't end well, for you or your customer.
Well said.

I'm always willing to give advice and teach where appropriate.
Often, it is not appreciated for us to use discernment on advice given over the internet.
I'll admit to being careful and not quick to encourage the brave.

6 year old kid asks, how do you filet a fish?
"Just take this big, really sharp knife and......."

GRCS has to be the way to go. You can rig some huge stuff and I love the lifting capability. You could learn to speed line. You could buy Heavier weighted ropes and take bigger cuts, I'd be careful with that in dead trees. You could also us a bunch of carabiners and small slings. When you fold self over like that your getting more of a swinging motion, rather than that sudden getting sudden jerk when cutting free hand.

I'd be careful rigging off your truck as well if you shock load the boom and your not wearing a harness, it could be really bad for you.

What if you rigged a big piece off the boom and you comprise the structural integrity of that boom Then, now and in the future your life will be in a compromised piece of equipment, until it's too late...

Back