Large magnolia tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightning Performance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a large magnolia tree around sixty feet tall. A leader over the house was overgrown and dominating the tree. Well that is no longer the case now. With three main limbs and one being the main center leader should I not top that one?
The owner thinks shortening the tree eight feet will help it I don't. My main concern is not to kill the damn thing. Now is the best time to trim or just after these flowers coming on late this year are finished up. The main stem has only had the dead removed and a few cross through limbs up the middle area. Home owners insurance insisted it be trimmed back immediately so it's getting done for this new home owner the former twenty year tenant. He is also dropping them based on their threat tactics without merit imho. Oh well they will be gone soon and not my problem.

Topping it will reduce the wick effect some and this tree does not need to be topped now that most of it's lopsided issues have been fixed.

I can post up some pics tonight if that helps.
I have only removed about twenty percent of the live growth, very little green wood and the tangled overbearing sections.

I cant help with the cutting aspect, but the best thing that could happen to that tree is for it to die... My grandparents had one in their yard when I was a kid... Constant leaves and cleanup.... brings back many memories of raking... LOL

What I call it possibly my own terminology.

On a few trees people wanted topped for one not very good reason or another they lost part off the top to drought it looked like.
If the tree has a multi-leader top vs a nice straight dominate trunk the next lower limb set all dies when I've cut tops on hardwood that was not dormant. After that it just stopped. Having to go back later and take off more dead just hanging around made me think it lost it's "wicking" ability. Individual limbs trimmed off never seems to cause more death unless it catches spores and developments a fungus or other issues that kill the whole tree eventually.
Read somewhere before the roots have pressure and the upper reaches can be killed if you lose the water up there from no wicking at the top where it seems you have little to no pressure.
This tree was not topped after I talked them out of it.

Please take us to school boss on what causes the next bit to die back.

100% agree! My grandparents had one too. Grandma would take the crap up around the trunk until I showed up to bag it up or burn it… ever what. 🤣 I’d recommend boring a hole and 10 pounds of tannerite. 😁

Back