Large mount Stihl bar to Husky 3120?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Tabora

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Husky 3120 from a member on the trading post, but I am hampered in this decision by my current bar and chain setup. I have been running a 42" Cannon Superbar on a Stihl 075, so I have a bar with a 14mm S2 mount. When I contacted Cannon about an adapter plate, the president of the company sent me this response:

"The 14 mm S2 mount bar will not work on a 3120 even with an adaptor because the mount end of the bar is too wide and the oil holes will not line up."

However, it seems that adapter plates that will atleast afix a large mount Stihl bar to a 3120 do exist, as per this site:

https://apsbarshop.com/product/cannon-bar-adaptor-plate/

Does any have any experience here, or can confirm/deny the stance of the Cannon rep? I'm rather attached to the bar and I have three ripping chains to it to boot. I'll probably hold out for an affordable 880 if I can't configure it to a 3120 :nofunny:

I went down this path once.
The adapter did not work for my 3120 either.
Oil hole matched up poorly. Strange too because the adapter worked fine with my 288xp to Stihl bar.

Here is the good news.
Bars are not too expensive at 42".... you can replace what you have in a native D009 mount for the 3120 without adapters.
Milling bars don't need to be fancy imo.
I just bought a new 62" bar from Forester direct for under $250 shipped.
A 42" is around a c-note.
Considering an new priced..... the 880 is almost a grand more than a 3120.... well... see where I'm going?

In line with what Andy said, check with Alamia in Denver:

www.alamia.us

(800) 861-0029

The Husqvarna "Branded" bars produced by GB are the Titanium/Steel alloy bars, and I have been Happy with mine.

The 44" bar was listed at $210 about a week ago (I got mine on sale for $160:):):))

Their part # is HUS HT343-128 for the .404 pitch version, IIRC there is also a 3/8" pitch available as well.

The HT343 series bars are The Titanium/Steel alloy, .404 pitch, .063 Gauge, the Dash Number denotes the DL count for that bar, the -104 is a 36", the -140 is a 50" (seems to be IMPOSSIBLE to find at the moment:(:(:() the -172 is the 60" bar and the -190 is the 72" Bar

with a bit of luck, the gauge and DL count may match the chains you already have.

Last I looked the 32",36",44", 60" and 72" were all in stock, but I have had trouble with their website this week, so you may have to give them a call. I bought my 44" and 60" bars from them, they shipped Fast, and orders over $49 ship FREE. I would buy from them again, especially if they get the 50" back in stock.

Doug :cheers:

Doug brings up a good point.

Link count is going to be different from Stihl to Husky for same bar lengths.
I had to add one link to my 36" 3/8" loops when I moved to 3120 from ms661 given the same 36" bar length for each.
The shop down the hill from me did it for free when I had loops sharpened. (free? ... well regrinding to 10* for milling cost me $15 so lets say it was included rather than free).
All my 36" loops had to go to 115 links(husky) from 114 links(stihl).
Its a one time thing though.

Find a good sharpening shop.
Even if you are a well tuned filer, Sometimes you need the whole chain re-ground.
Whether it's hitting a bullet or nail or something else. Catastrophe is coming to a chain near you. :p

it is possible to drill/grind a new oil port on the bar or if kinda close grind a leader groove to the existing hole from the oiler location on the saw. For longer bars I routinely enlarge the bar oil port and grind a leader groove to it, gives much improved oiling of chain/bar.

it is possible to drill/grind a new oil port on the bar or if kinda close grind a leader groove to the existing hole from the oiler location on the saw. For longer bars I routinely enlarge the bar oil port and grind a leader groove to it, gives much improved oiling of chain/bar.
I don't know the difference between the 2100xp and the 3120, but I routinely ran Stihl bars on my 2100s. I have routinely adapted Husky and Stihl bars to run on other saws, such as Pioneer, Macs, and my Homelite.
Sometimes, it is just a matter of cutting a channel with a dremel tool or even a 4 inch grinder with a cutoff wheel. As for the difference in the size of the slot, I use a long, medium sized cotter pin to wrap around the bolts. The Stihl bar fits on the Husky, just as if you were using a Husky bar.
This is not my original idea, I learned it somewhere on the internet about 5 years ago, and it works as well as the Stihl to Husky adapter, (which I also have, but can never seem to find when I need it).
Bob

Back