Last fire of the year? Bittersweet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it tonight here in Ohio? Forecast above freezing for the foreseeable future. Heat pump can probably take over from here.

Glad but always a bit sad for losing my moments with the kids, Wife, and dog in our basement “Winter Room”.

Supplying, stacking, and stoking the basement wood furnace. They help me with 3 of the 5 ways wood heats us. Lol

I have an old school basement that is for chest freezer runs, holiday decorations updates, dad stuff, and wood furnace reloads only.

So bittersweet but happy for spring! Anyone else close to last burn?

Here’s to a good season and some pics! Share yours too. Goodbye winter!

Nope, this aint my last fire. However, it is the 1st time since mid November that I had to turn on the water heater. I had one load yesterday and that was it. It will be in the 70's next week so a fire will not be started for at least a week. I feel it is not worth the 1/2 load of wood to get the water and the boiler hot , along with running a 100 watt pump and a 50 watt fan for 6 or 7 hours . However, again, I have radiant heat and I really like it. What I do is run the boiler to about 175 , it makes the floor nice and cozy. The floor is warm , but you can feel just a little cooler air coming down from above . I fixed that by also running the furnace fan cause I have a heat exchanger in the furnace . This heats the up air on top and the 1,000' pex heats the floor. There is no cozier heat , not even a wood stove,,, but I think a wood stove is close .

I typically light my last indoor fire in June. June is often rainy and cool here. We have been getting into the 40s during the day, so we let the fire die out in the afternoon. The house is about 62 degrees when I get up in the morning. We still have snow in the shade and on the north side of things, but it is melting pretty fast. It is that awkward time of year where I want to get into the mountains to cut wood, but I can only get 1000 feet higher before the roads are snowed shut. I have to settle for valley scrounging and wishful thinking.

Not quite over for me in NE Ohio, but getting close. Still seeing lows in low 20's which is enough for me to keep it going. I have a heat pump also, this is pretty good weather for it but the heat it puts out compared to my outdoor unit is miserable.

Refuse to use the heat . Would rather keep the stove going and open a window or two during the day
You all will laugh at me... we live in Ocala, Florida. Recently had a Ventis HEI240 fireplace insert installed and we love it! So I will get a fire going if it's in the 50's. Haven't turned on the heat since we got this insert. I laugh at myself because it warms up our great room and the AC will kick on. But watching those flames is mesmerizing, so happy we got this Ventis. Our black cat makes me lift the legs on my recliner so she can enjoy the heat. Also, we got a 30% tax credit, that gave me an additional $1400 on our tax refund for 2022.

Attachments

• Ventis insert fire 3-19-23.jpg
    Ventis insert fire 3-19-23.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
That is good dry heat , and 50 degrees and damp is cold. A fire is great. It reminds me of a few years ago , I was up in NW WIs. in August. I took a swim in the river to clean up and the water was cold. I get to the cabin and It was cold enough to make a fire. I dont recall ever making a fire in August but it felt so good, and I slept in the loft and never woke up till morning. Something about a fire.

My OWB is still going but I have been thinking that probably this week I will shut it down. I installed two heat pumps last summer so I'm sure they can handle cool nights. It's supposed to hit 80 later this week. One "issue" with my OWB setup is that my circulater pump runs 24/7 and the heat exchanger in the plenum just sort of radiates the heat up into the ducts so the upstairs (walk out basement ranch) just keeps getting warmer and warmer when it's warm outside plus the fact that my house faces perfectly south and is not blocked from the sun.

This was last weekend.

Normally we will get at least one good snow in April. Not uncommon if the last one is a few weeks in. With the mild winter we've had I am pretty sure we've seen our last snow for the year. 20230330_071548.jpg

Shut down the OWB this week. Just don't use enough hot water to keep it going. Just went to the basement to make sure I had the lines to the heat exchanger shut off. Today is going to be high 80's and warm weather after today. Time to fill the chicken watering tank for the nipple water's.

might have to fire it back up next week lol. I am forecasted to be in the 30's on Tuesday, how about you?
Not that bad here. 53 or so they say! But they also said today's outdoor activity level was "very good" as I sit here and watch it raining lol! Glad I cut the grass last night after work when it was in the upper 70's!

Latest posts

Back