Leaning cedar tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpartridge

Reaction score
Hi-
My neighbor has a really large cedar tree that has a slight lean. (You can see the cedar tree in back leaning to the right)…Unfortunately this lean is towards my house. I assume this tree has always had this lean but don’t know for sure. I’ve inspected the cedar and it appears healthy although it does have several roots above ground. (Roots I can visually see when inspecting base)
Based upon this picture should I be concerned?
Do you agree that if it were to fall it would hit my house?
Thanks for any feedback/comments

Attachments

• 20F50BE0-B6DD-4B05-9CCF-006C3D85D1C7.jpeg
    20F50BE0-B6DD-4B05-9CCF-006C3D85D1C7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
Its too far away and its not tall enough....
Not hard to figure out, its basic geometry. Go outside with a broom stick and stand back a ways from the tree with your house about 45° off to the side. Hold it vertical with with your arm out straight and look down your arm at the tree. Put the top of the stick at the top of the tree, your hand on the stick at the bottom of the tree. Now rotate your arm so the stick is horizontal, keeping your hand positioned at the base of the tree (as if the tree was falling) towards your house. If the top of the stick reaches where your house is it will hit it. If not it won't. You can probably also measure the picture in the same way if the angles are right.

You can google, "How to measure the height of a tree. I use a stick held 90% with my arm straight out horizontal to the earth. The stick is cut to be the distance of my arm from fist to eye. Then I move away or near to the tree until the stick lines up with the top of tree and bottom of the tree. That should be about 45%. That gives me a very good estimate of where the tree top will hit. My guess is a ton of guys do that. It's very common. Practice at it and then from now on you will be able to know when and where to move stuff away from a learner or a drop zone. I've actually flagged the ground where the end of the tree will fall and most times be within a few feet if not spot on. Knowing how tall a tree is being safer in places where that matters. Good luck.

Back