Leg protectors from gaffing / harpooning self ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstamey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Fairly new to tree climbing, have climbed and taken down a dozen or so trees. I'm always concerned about harpooning my own leg with the gaffs in the event I gaff out.
I've searched online for something that would wrap around your leg to protect it in case this happens. I cant seem to find anything specific for this.
Is there such a thing that I can buy? I'd expect it to be made similar to a shin protector, but made to protect the inside of the leg.

Chaps or saw pants will help but won't stop a gaff. The way I learned is gaff your leg one time and you won't ever do it again. I have some snake wraps that are a plastic sort of material that wrap around your entire lower legs. They would probably work but are hot and would be cumbersome climbing.

Chaps or saw pants will help but won't stop a gaff. The way I learned is gaff your leg one time and you won't ever do it again. I have some snake wraps that are a plastic sort of material that wrap around your entire lower legs. They would probably work but are hot and would be cumbersome climbing.
Was gonna say - does that tend to be a problem more than once? I know after I ran a horseshoe nail clean through my little finger, I was never tempted to do *that* again...

Was gonna say - does that tend to be a problem more than once? I know after I ran a horseshoe nail clean through my little finger, I was never tempted to do *that* again...
Yeah, just not a concern I ever really had, and the best solution is to just keep them ankles out and don't gaff out....

Totally off subject, sorry, but have to say it reminds me of learning sheep-shearing many years ago. You start by shearing down the sheep's underside, from the brisket to the back legs, but halfway down, in a male animal, there's the pizzle (penis). As the wool falls away from the brisket it covers an organ that may be well-hidden by wool in the first place. I was concerned as a beginner about cutting it, or even cutting it off. My instructor's response - find it first and put your left thumb on it. You'll be sure to miss it then.

Totally off subject, sorry, but have to say it reminds me of learning sheep-shearing many years ago. You start by shearing down the sheep's underside, from the brisket to the back legs, but halfway down, in a male animal, there's the pizzle (penis). As the wool falls away from the brisket it covers an organ that may be well-hidden by wool in the first place. I was concerned as a beginner about cutting it, or even cutting it off. My instructor's response - find it first and put your left thumb on it. You'll be sure to miss it then.
And I bet by your hundredth ram you didn't even have to bother giving him a happy ending, lol. Moving back on topic, the OP said he has spurred a dozen trees... just keep practicing and you'll be fine...

Just my opinion and not being a **** by anymeans, but you have more probable things climbing and running a chainsaw in a tree that can and will happento be vigilant and conscious about. Gaffing out when your beginning happens, and naturally putting a gaff through your leg from a logistical stand point runs through your mind. But I’ll take a gaff through my calf or ankle (very very rare) over cutting a finger or hand, thigh face or neck, or getting hit by a cut or falling limb, getting smoked by a crane pick or dare I say even dropping my precious saws haha ( the later of the list are wayyy more probable).Id focus on those things buddy. From one climber to another

Fairly new to tree climbing, have climbed and taken down a dozen or so trees. I'm always concerned about harpooning my own leg with the gaffs in the event I gaff out.
I've searched online for something that would wrap around your leg to protect it in case this happens. I cant seem to find anything specific for this.
Is there such a thing that I can buy? I'd expect it to be made similar to a shin protector, but made to protect the inside of the leg.
Picture how you would sit in a chair, now keep that same position climbing. Keep your butt out. Press the gaff in firmly and step up. Try to avoid standing straight up and down because that will make your gaffs kick out.

Use caution on dead trees and really make sure your gaffs are in firmly, if not that can lead to kick outs. Avoid using pole climbing gaffs on thick bark trees. Also be careful of loose bark or trees such as a shag bark Hickory because your gaffs could only be penetrating the bark itself instead of the actual tree causing kick outs and potential falls.

Most importantly set a tie-in point from the ground and don' t just rely on a lanyard. You can change your tie-in point once you get in to the canopy. Most importantly avoid any free climbing. If you are unable to set a tie-in, climb with 2 lanyards and alternate them as you ascend and move pass branch's. Most importantly ALWAYS stay tied-in, Inspect your climbing gear thoroughly before every climb and always visually inspect that any snaps are attached to your saddle and don't just rely on the sound. Climb high, but always stay safe.

Although I'm sure it's happened...I don't think gaffing your own leg is a significant issue.

I've never even really thought about it. I think the more you get used to climbing, the less you will see an issue with gaffing your own leg.

I actually spend more time making sure I'm not gaffing my climbing rope.

A number of years we here in Southern California had millions of trees die from the Bark Beetle infestation. During the removal of those trees we were inundated with companies coming in to assist local companies for all kinds of support. Thousands of trees were mismarked for removals. Some dead trees had been standing five years while others still green. One of my legs had some surgeries leaving it with little nerve sensations. So climbing was a challenge when it went numb. While climbing I would step into large cracks often catching me off balance. So I made a cast of each of my lower legs then made a fiberglass negative from the casting. I bolted each cast to the gaff and end of issue. I found that I did not get as tired and I could feel the tree better looking for cracks. Each leg had protection and better support. Now some gaffs come with similar protection and support. Thanks

A number of years we here in Southern California had millions of trees die from the Bark Beetle infestation. During the removal of those trees we were inundated with companies coming in to assist local companies for all kinds of support. Thousands of trees were mismarked for removals. Some dead trees had been standing five years while others still green. One of my legs had some surgeries leaving it with little nerve sensations. So climbing was a challenge when it went numb. While climbing I would step into large cracks often catching me off balance. So I made a cast of each of my lower legs then made a fiberglass negative from the casting. I bolted each cast to the gaff and end of issue. I found that I did not get as tired and I could feel the tree better looking for cracks. Each leg had protection and better support. Now some gaffs come with similar protection and support. Thanks
If the iron part of the gaffs are digging in to your shins, buy sponges from the dollar store. It's a cheap & easy fix.

You had some bionic- man stuff going on, huh. Lol, very inventive.

The only thing worse then not being able to feel your leg or foot, is having your darn boot come un-tied at 60' +

Back