Lengthy, complete review of Harbor Freight 9hp 30ton hor/vert splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, an update to my original post. The Harbor Freight Splitter is working well with only a few minor set-backs. The oil drain plug was loose and provided an amusing display when it worked its way loose sending a plume of oil across the lawn. The quantity of hydraulic oil that HF states in their owner’s manual as being required (2 gallons) is actually half of what is really needed.

As far as "Buy American" goes, I'll get right on that once GM and Chrysler pay me back for bailing them out, at which time I'll buy a big fat gas-guzzling Ford pickup because Dennis Leary told me to.

Yeah, there's a little bit of sarcasm in that run-on sentance, but I do plan on getting that pickup in October. Huuummm, should it be a Toyota Tundra manufactured in San Antonio, TX or a Honda Ridgeline manufactured in Lincoln, AL?

Okay, an update to my original post. The Harbor Freight Splitter is working well with only a few minor set-backs. The oil drain plug was loose and provided an amusing display when it worked its way loose sending a plume of oil across the lawn. The quantity of hydraulic oil that HF states in their owner’s manual as being required (2 gallons) is actually half of what is really needed.

As far as "Buy American" goes, I'll get right on that once GM and Chrysler pay me back for bailing them out, at which time I'll buy a big fat gas-guzzling Ford pickup because Dennis Leary told me to.

Yeah, there's a little bit of sarcasm in that run-on sentance, but I do plan on getting that pickup in October. Huuummm, should it be a Toyota Tundra manufactured in San Antonio, TX or a Honda Ridgeline manufactured in Lincoln, AL?

In the first place, The buy American was with regard to American CLS splitter line, made in NY... not vehicles.

In the second place the so called "bailout" you refer to of GM and crysler are government LOANS to the auto makers, not tax free, no payback bailouts... you do not have to pay a dime towards the automakers so they can "keep" that money as the term "bailout" suggests, that is just something the conservative right wing in this country would like you to believe..along with drinking their koolaid. And for those that blame President Obama for loaning them the money:

"It might seem like a stealth rescue, but the plan has been in the works for at least 18 months. Approval for the loans was first included in last year's Energy Independence Act. Earlier this year, the automakers sought a first installment of loans totaling about $6 billion."

(http://www.usnews.com/blogs/flowchart/2008/09/24/a-25-billion-lifeline-for-gm-ford-and-chrysler.html)

Third place, I understand that most autos are made in this country, I never stated anything about vehicles made in this country or outside the country, you did.

Forth place, if anyone wants to buy cheaply made splitters from China or Taiwan because they are cheaper, let them... they will be the ones replacing it in a few years, not me... I bought AMERICAN.

BTW, nice way to introduce yourself.

Hi and welcome to the site.:cheers:

Last edited:
Ouch! I think I hit a sore spot. Sorry.

Yes, I realize that the bailout money is a loan, but it's a loan to companies that may go belly up, or even worse, hooking up with an Italian company known for poor quality. It was Bush that signed the bailout back in October.

I do go out of my way to buy from American companies whenever prudent and economically feasible. In my line of work, I follow this rule of thumb which has a far greater economic impact on the world than my personal life.

BTW, I believe that HF has their fuel and hydraulic fluid capacities backward.

Thanks for the welcome!

You bought AN American indicating the brand would have been clearer. I read it the wrong way as have others. Buying American is buying my country of manufacture (subtle but important difference).
:givebeer:

You are right... sorry for wording it wrong.

However, American CLS is in fact made in america at a small company in NY state.

There is no comparison to the HF splitters with these.

The quality of their splitters is very good, the price is lower than timberwolf but more than some of the splitters of obvious lower quality.

They have cheaper models than mine, and more expensive models than mine. They also have vertical, vertical & horizontal combos, tractor mount, 30" -36" -48" ram strokes optional, log lifts, and even conveyors.

You might say mine it is a midrange price for an quality splitter.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

If interested, here is a couple links.

http://www.americanmsr.com/new-this-year.htm

http://www.americanmsr.com/logsplitters.htm

I bought the HF 22 ton unit with 6 hp Robin. I have had it for several years and have had no trouble with the exception of the coupling set screw backing out which caused the coupling to seperate. The welds are just as good as the welds I have seen on units at big box stores, and almost as good as my own welds. I paid $860 and feel I got a hell of a good deal compared to the units I see at big box stores that have cheap lawn mower dirived engines.

Back