Lesson learned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kuhn

Hobby Repairman
Reaction score
See the tree at the red arrow?

1601815761592.png

Pretty small, right? It was leaning over the fence like this slightly larger one which we didn't end up taking:

1601816129998.png

So on that first one we roped it about 11 or 12 feet up. My partner pulled while I cut...and he couldn't get it to fall away from the fence, but was able to have it fall to the side instead of over the fence directly. It still hit the fence, but didn't wreck it because it didn't hit with much force.

We should have roped it higher. We should have roped above 50% the height from where we were going to cut to the very top...and we needed another puller. We underestimated the force of all the branches and leaves. Leverage can and will be used against you if you're not levered correctly.

Small tree, big lesson.

BTW, we cut everything 2 feet high because these weed trees had grown up and through a wire fence. Then we snipped the fence away and I cut them at ground level being watchful of any missed wire. Here's the final pic.

1601818307978.png

That second tree is still standing because a limb from it's neighbor is in the fall path and I refuse to stand on a ladder and use my saw. My giterdun helper fell silent about that second tree after he failed to pull the first one where we wanted it to fall.

Can you rope off that 2nd tree to something solid, using a snatch block if you have one?

It's small enough a block and tackle or come-along will pull it easily. Use a hand pole pruner to remove entangling limb first.

Even a ATV or garden tractor would pull that over too.
Excellent ideas, thanks. Appreciate the helpful note. Good reason to get my garden tractor running again!

Latest posts

Back