Let me introduce you to "Sheldon" more specifially "The Sheldon Cord" !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran across this picture on a local firewood sellers Craigslist AD. Check it out. Anybody ever hear of a "Sheldon Cord" ? I never have, let's ad more confusion to the to selling or buying firewood....Geez !!

View attachment 683647

Looks like, at most, he has a 1/2 cord on there. Probably sells it as a full cord.

When my Dad was a kid and cut pulp wood, they had two terms for pulp and firewood. Pulp wood was cut in 4' lengths, and was stacked 4X4X8, and called "Cordwood". All the firewood they cut back then was in 2' lengths, stacked 4X4X8, and called a "Cord of Firewood". So, if some one ordered 3 cords of "Cordwood", it came in 4' lengths. If they ordered 3 cords of "Firewood", it came in 2' lengths. Still confusing back then with areas having their own terms. But, they were never trying to cheat some one. It was still a 4X4X8 load.

Since Sheldon cords vary in size, one day his grandson shows up in the driveway with his little red wagon. I bet a semi never shows up to make it average out?

As goofy as it is, PA still has a law on the books that it’s illegal to sell firewood in less than cord measurements.

So does Ohio ... and should be . What other product do you buy by volume that doesn’t have a set in stone unit of measurement?
I agree but most people have no concept of what a cord actually is and just accept what the wood guy tells them. Can’t count how many ads I’ve seen that a full cord is a heaping 8’ truck bed! :crazy:

MD, is still a cord, or fraction thereof. Might as well stick with the cord, what else is there? When I was a kid I had a 1 ton International pickup, single tires, with a 9' bed, lots of 8' bed's, two six's, and now 5 point something. So you can't use a pickup load. Even the little bundles at the 7-11 say ".75 of one cord" on them.

Topsoil, mulch, gravel by the yard. I think by the weight would work for all of those, and firewood, but then how would the government stick their nose in it. You do need a standard. I remember one young lady was almost at tears because I was giving her too much wood. She had used a local supplier for several years. She waited till Christmas eave to call us. She was surprised I was cheaper than her guy, and then when I got there, and told her all the wood on the dump truck was hers, she started freaking. She couldn't fit it, and her car, in the garage. She wasn't allowed to stack it out side, homeowner asses. She was happy and didn't know the scumbag was ripping her off. To a young homeowner that has never heated with wood, a cord is a giant pile. It's wan't right he ripped her off just because she didn't know. He could have taken that same load and said "this load, this much" and she would have been happy, and he still would have been ripping her off.

Didn't we have this argument with sb47 about a month or two back?
Ran across this picture on a local firewood sellers Craigslist AD. Check it out. Anybody ever hear of a "Sheldon Cord" ? I never have, let's ad more confusion to the to selling or buying firewood....Geez !!

View attachment 683647
Maybe he was talking about a Sheldon Cord that you couldn't put 3 of in a truck bed.

Didn't we have this argument with sb47 about a month or two back?

Maybe he was talking about a Sheldon Cord that you couldn't put 3 of in a truck bed.

Oh man, that was awful. He was right though, no way can you fit three Sheldon cords in a truck.

As goofy as it is, PA still has a law on the books that it’s illegal to sell firewood in less than cord measurements.

Many, if not most, states have laws specifying that wood has to be sold by the 'cord'. No other measures are allowed. One can still sell 1/4, 1/2, etc cord.

Bakers dozen all over again 13 buns for the price of 12 " think NOT "I bet his cords are more expensive than the Std 8x8x4 cord could this be a BOGALF "Buy one get a lump free":blob2::blob2:

Darn, meant to post this yesterday but must have missed hit the button.
Joe, yup by the yard and they guess how many yards the heaped or levelled bucket is too. Still just an educated guess.If by the ton then moisture content come into play too. About the same as saying wood is seasoned. Oak sitting in shade for 2 years likely isn't seasoned. I think if you are buying anything you should at least do some kind of checking to make sure you are getting your money's worth.

Back