Let's get my Stihl 038 Mag up and going!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same.....im also in the final stages of rebuilding and moding my 038

Removed base gasket to bring compression up to 195psi and am now running 8 pin rim sprocket.

I would really love to know where to start looking for a full wrap handle......any sergestions?

Same.....im also in the final stages of rebuilding and moding my 038

Removed base gasket to bring compression up to 195psi and am now running 8 pin rim sprocket.

I would really love to know where to start looking for a full wrap handle......any sergestions?
I just saw one on another site. Let me see if I can find it again.

It was bent but the seller had painted and straightened it up a bit.

Looks plenty usable to me. Piston still has visible tool marks on the skirt. Can’t beat that for $40 dollars. I’ve got two NOS 038 mag top ends, cost me juuuuust a little more that that.
Ya the few that are on ebay right now are $300+. Yikes.

I'm really trying to resist the temptation to mildly grind on this cylinder just to smooth things out. The exhaust port corners are not symmetrical at all.

Just some nice blending...but I don't need that kind of time sucking hobby right now any more than I need another hole in my head :laugh:

Ya the few that are on ebay right now are $300+. Yikes.

I'm really trying to resist the temptation to mildly grind on this cylinder just to smooth things out. The exhaust port corners are not symmetrical at all.

Just some nice blending...but I don't need that kind of time sucking hobby right now any more than I need another hole in my head :laugh:
First piston and cylinder I bought came from Australia just before the Covid madness kicked into overdrive. Second one I purchased from a member here. Paid less than $300 for each including shipping. Spendy yes but I won’t touch aftermarket cylinders. Sometimes you gotta pay for the good stuff. Or find good used. I plan to keep my 038’s running for a long time. They’ll probably outlive me honestly.

They certainly appear to be nicely done. How close were their numbers to their OEM counterparts?

They certainly appear to be nicely done. How close were their numbers to their OEM counterparts?

I never checked port timing with a wheel. Would have been nice to have those numbers now. Machining tolerances were close to OEM. I had access to quality machine shop tools then.

Before I started 038S---->038M conversions I had NOS Stihl 038S and 038M, and 038M Tecomec P/C assys to work with and compare. I had no qualms using the Tecomec parts.

1 038.png

There's currently another used OEM 52mm Mag piston & cylinder set on the ebay for $199 + $9.99 shipping.

I offered the seller $40 (the same money I paid for mine a few weeks ago) plus his $9.99 shipping fee and was told no. :laugh:

I received my free 038 Mag parts saw from my coworkers' father. The big end rod bearing is roached but everything else that's on the saw is in great shape, just a bit dirty. So I'll be building the other saw over the next few weeks, but for now I have to rebuild my dads 028 AV Super.

Latest posts

Back