Let's get my Stihl 038 Mag up and going!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
I've had this saw for, I'd say, 8 years or so now? Funny story how I came about acquiring it. A fellow at work had bought it from another guy in hopes of getting it running again. Said he tried but wasn't able to get it going. He told me it was an 038 with a broken handle and I had already planned on trying to buy it but when I saw it was a Mag I had to have it. I gave him $50 for it. :surprised3:

Anyway, long story short, at one point it had bar oil in the gas tank and gas in the bar oil tank. After cleaning the tanks, fuel line and a carb inspection, it didn't appear oil was pulled into the carb. I think it fired up on the 5th or 6th pull with fresh gas. I didn't have a need for it at the time so I put in on the shelf and now it's time to get her going.

It *needs* a carb kit and tank vent line. It's getting those plus impulse line, intake boot, fuel line, rear handle/tank (all OEM), opening the muffler up a bit, and I'll be vac testing the crankcase before cutting with it. Some other little odds and ends like AV buffer plugs, chain catch, air filter cover knob etc...are coming for it too.

Once she's dialed in I'll figure out what I'm running on it for bar/chain combo. This will be geared towards a backup saw for my 25" MS460 but could quite possibly end up being sold off to fund a twin to my MS460.

The rear handle has been broken and scabbed together, so that's the focal point of work before I get it out and run it. It will run but she's in need of a good cleaning and I want to get the tank replaced first.
20230217_194056.jpg
20230217_194117.jpg
20230217_194127.jpg

Top end is pristine.
20230217_195218.jpg
20230217_195228.jpg

OEM 1119 cylinder.
20230217_200132.jpg

20230217_195605.jpg

20230217_195854.jpg

Bing 48A101
20230217_200610.jpg

20230217_200633.jpg

FWIW I haven't been able to find a tank/handle as of yet. If anyone has a lead on an OEM plastic tank I'm all ears.

Mite wanna replace the crank seals as well or at least order some so you have them on hand. Both my 038 mags had bad clutch side crank seals.
I think I'll be proactive on the seals and get some ordered and installed. No need to burn it up by being stupid and saving a few dollars.

Just finished mine 😁
I need to get out and cut with it now.
it balances nicely with a 24” as long as the tank is full :p

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/038av-magnum-ii-brazil-made.365752/
Nice, I was watching that thread.

The aftermarket handle assemblies are not bad if you understand everything on them needs to be replaced with oem parts...av mounts, fuel hose, tank vent, fuel caps etc. If your going to tear it down put some rings in it after inspecting the piston and wristpin/bearing. I love these saws after I work them over. They are very strong for their CC, even the standard AV vrsion will pull a 25" bar with authority in stock form.. If it eems like it takes too many pulls to start and you saw has the metal carb to airfilter spacer aka Carburetor Baffle 1127-121-7000 remove it. It causes leaks and reduces the choke function greatly. Had one that took 15 pulls to prime, remove that little sucker and it kicks on the 3rd pull every time after sitting weeks.

FWIW I haven't been able to find a tank/handle as of yet. If anyone has a lead on an OEM plastic tank I'm all ears.

I think I'll be proactive on the seals and get some ordered and installed. No need to burn it up by being stupid and saving a few dollars.

Next time I'm at my dealer I'll check on a tank. Should be in the next week or so. They have a ton of old saws for parts.

The aftermarket handle assemblies are not bad if you understand everything on them needs to be replaced with oem parts...av mounts, fuel hose, tank vent, fuel caps etc. If your going to tear it down put some rings in it after inspecting the piston and wristpin/bearing. I love these saws after I work them over. They are very strong for their CC, even the standard AV vrsion will pull a 25" bar with authority in stock form.. If it eems like it takes too many pulls to start and you saw has the metal carb to airfilter spacer aka Carburetor Baffle 1127-121-7000 remove it. It causes leaks and reduces the choke function greatly. Had one that took 15 pulls to prime, remove that little sucker and it kicks on the 3rd pull every time after sitting weeks.
Hm, so, that baffle is not good?
I ordered it specifically cuz it was missing 🤪

OEM Gasket kit comes with seals and costs less than just seals.

Check with servicing dealers for dead saws, leave them a phone#/email, and CL for 038 carcasses.

I got all my 038s for free, only one ran without lots of parts/work. The dead ones were supers, some got converted to 038M

The one that ran was a FILTHY 038M in the late 1990s. Recoil and carb were full of sawdust. Cleaned it up and it ran fine, P/C looked almost new. I've not had to go inside the carb or engine, and only rubber parts that went bad, so far, were AV mounts and the tank vent. It needed an air filter, AV mounts, and bar and chain when I got it (It got a new 25" ES bar and Stihl chain). It's still ugly but runs fine.

.Also, stay away from aftermarket air filter assys, most of the time the chokes don't function properly. This is true for many other Stihl saws

I bought a OEM tank (from Stihl not eBay or internet) several months ago, I’ll check availability on Monday.
I hadn't even thought to check my local dealer. Figured they'd stopped making these a long time ago. I'll stop on my way home from work tomorrow morning. I need to grab some more files anyways.
I'm sure the AM parts are fine but I just can't bring myself to do that to these old girls. The only aftermarket anything I've put on any of my saws was a Meteor piston in my 026P. I was young and broke at the time. :laugh:
i got a plastic tank, not see thru
not really wantin to sail it but lmk if yer stihl stuck for one in couple wk
id think you'd be able to find one in the us
I really appreciate that, I'll definitely keep you in mind. :)
Next time I'm at my dealer I'll check on a tank. Should be in the next week or so. They have a ton of old saws for parts.
Great, I'll keep this thread updated if I find one myself or someone else does.
OEM Gasket kit comes with seals and costs less than just seals.

Check with servicing dealers for dead saws, leave them a phone#/email, and CL for 038 carcasses.

I got all my 038s for free, only one ran without lots of parts/work. The dead ones were supers, some got converted to 038M

The one that ran was a FILTHY 038M in the late 1990s. Recoil and carb were full of sawdust. Cleaned it up and it ran fine, P/C looked almost new. I've not had to go inside the carb or engine, and only rubber parts that went bad, so far, were AV mounts and the tank vent. It needed an air filter, AV mounts, and bar and chain when I got it (It got a new 25" ES bar and Stihl chain). It's still ugly but runs fine.

.Also, stay away from aftermarket air filter assys, most of the time the chokes don't function properly. This is true for many other Stihl saws
Good to know, I'll check on a gasket kit from my dealer in the morning.

Appreciate all of the responses guys. :)

I truly wish that I did NOT sell this saw about seven years ago.

View attachment 1059157
It ran perfectly and when I restored it, all it needed was a new impulse hose.

View attachment 1059158
Great performer, and the new owner loves it. No complaints from him.
Ya I usually have sellers remorse which is why I rarely sell anything.

I have an 088 I haven't used it 7 or 8 years but doesn't cost me anything to have it sit on the shelf.

I'm anxious to get this going strong and see if it lives up to what everyone says they do. 🙂

Stihlership wants $156 for a tank. So I'm going to continue looking for a used one.

Gasket set is on order. When I bought one for my 088 it was pretty much every gasket and seal but this "set" for my 038 is just crank seals and crankcase center gasket. 🙄

I've located a running parts saw. Only problem is if that thing runs and is mechanically sound then I'll fix that one up too and have 2 running 038 Mags. So I'm still kind of looking for a tank...

Stihlership wants $156 for a tank. So I'm going to continue looking for a used one.

Gasket set is on order. When I bought one for my 088 it was pretty much every gasket and seal but this "set" for my 038 is just crank seals and crankcase center gasket. 🙄
That is strange. You might be surprised as what is in the set

Most Stihl sets I've got had seals, center gasket, base gasket, muffler gasket. 038 set should have oil pump gasket too.

Screen shot from an ebay ad, I think one seal is hiding under the sticker......

1 038.png

Back