Let's get my Stihl 038 Mag up and going!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would weld those nuts to the inside rather than the nut/washer. Or, use sheet metal screws alone.
They’re castle nuts (lock nuts) so they definitely won’t back off. I like to use stainless rivets with backing washers. Once I make a spark screen for it that’s what I’ll use.

Better welded/brazed as if they come loose can go back inside export.

Alrighty well I put her in some wood today and she runs beautifully. I've decided to call her Maggie 😄

I ran it along side my 460, both with 25" and it feels great in this elm. My 460 has an 8-pin sprocket whereas the 038 has a 7-pin so I'll be ordering a few more 8-pins so I can do a proper comparison.

Running Amsoil Saber at 32:1 for a few tanks then will probably switch to 40:1.
20230311_112633.jpg
20230311_112712.jpg

I came across a used OEM P&C for $40 that appeared to be in great shape so it looks like I'll be building another 038 Mag with 2 parts saws............:innocent:

I came very close to buying that piston and cylinder. Glad you got it though. Hard to pass up for $40 dollars.
My thoughts as well. The parts saw I have that I pulled the tank from has top end issues and the other free parts saw I'll be getting at some point has no cylinder.

Between those two saws I should have what I need to build a functional, albeit not visually appealing, saw.

Oh man that full wrap setup with the cover and dogs are fire on that saw.

My wife is going to hate you. 😆

I've considered digging the welder out and trying to relearn aluminum tig to make some wrap handles. Maybe sell a few of them to recover some of the costs of the material I'm going to waste. It's been a few years since I last tig'd AL and it wasn't pretty then. 😄

Oh man that full wrap setup with the cover and dogs are fire on that saw.

My wife is going to hate you. 😆

I've considered digging the welder out and trying to relearn aluminum tig to make some wrap handles. Maybe sell a few of them to recover some of the costs of the material I'm going to waste. It's been a few years since I last tig'd AL and it wasn't pretty then. 😄
Yeah I got lucky and found someone here willing to part with that full wrap. Definitely hard to come by these days. Sounds like your honey do list is gonna get a bit longer lol.

It's worth the extra time to check the vacuum, pressure and leak down before you assemble the whole saw. Do a wet and a dry test, even the smallest leak will cause a lean run. The nicasel and/or chromed sets are outstanding the unlined cheapies are a gamble at best. The cost of buying all new rubber parts, intakes, pulse etc. are worth it in the long run.

It's worth the extra time to check the vacuum, pressure and leak down before you assemble the whole saw. Do a wet and a dry test, even the smallest leak will cause a lean run. The nicasel and/or chromed sets are outstanding the unlined cheapies are a gamble at best. The cost of buying all new rubber parts, intakes, pulse etc. are worth it in the long run.
I agree, which is why I assembled it with all new rubber parts (minus the AV mounts unless needed) and seals. I assume saws with relatively unknown histories haven't been touched from factory. Given the age of these saws, they get those parts new.

Made a spark screen for the third exhaust outlet and installed new top cover on the 038 mag today. Cut up some Madrona with it a few days ago, ran like a champ. Definitely breathing better with the baffle removed and third port.
View attachment 1067773View attachment 1067774
Looking really nice, that's a really good looking saw.

The used ebay P&C came in today as did some 8-pin rim sprockets. It's really clean, definitely a deal at $40.

Hoping to get one of the sprockets on Maggie and see how she likes 8 pins.

I've only got 15 minutes behind my 038M with a 7-pin and only can compare it with my MS460 with an 8-pin. Neither are modded beyond opening the mufflers up a bit.

For fire-wooding around my property those 2 are as big as any saw I'd ever really need. I don't look at any new saw with enough justification to merit buying one. I'll leave that for you guys.

The used ebay P&C came in today as did some 8-pin rim sprockets. It's really clean, definitely a deal at $40.

Hoping to get one of the sprockets on Maggie and see how she likes 8 pins.
I’ve got a 8 pin on my other 038 mag. 20” bar full comp full chisel square ground chain. Pulls good in hard wood. 24” bar with a 8 pin would probably be fine but a 28” bar not so sure. I’ve been meaning to play around with longer bars and 8 pin rim just haven’t done it yet.

I’ve got a 8 pin on my other 038 mag. 20” bar full comp full chisel square ground chain. Pulls good in hard wood. 24” bar with a 8 pin would probably be fine but a 28” bar not so sure. I’ve been meaning to play around with longer bars and 8 pin rim just haven’t done it yet.
The saw has plenty of torque for a 28 and full skip…not sure how well it would oil but based on running a 24 I think it would be fine. Just…slow.

The saw has plenty of torque for a 28 and full skip…not sure how well it would oil but based on running a 24 I think it would be fine. Just…slow.
I run a 28” bar on one of my mags, puts out plenty of oil. I feel like it cuts pretty well, not quite on the same level as a modern 70ish cc saw but I wouldn’t call it slow. Just my opinion. I’m putting a 266/272XP hybrid together here shortly, I’ll see how it compares to the 038 mag.

Back