lets see them motorcycles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beta and GasGas make some really nice bikes. Back in my trials riding day I had a GasGas JTR270. That bike was as reliable as the sunrise. Another bike I wish I had not sold.
I’ve actually been on the lookout for a trials bike. I’d like to get back into again and there’s an active club in my area.
Kudos to you for buying the Beta. There’s more than enough orange bikes out there.

It's actually my 3rd Beta. I bought my first, a '15 300, new that year. This one is a '20 and replaced that one...The '15 is gone, but I still have a plated '18 350. I've had a couple of Gas Gas trials bikes, first was a '97 contact 270. That got replaced by a '14 280, which I still own.

Anyone like Gixxers, the boy does, he's a lot taller now lol.
Last bike I built, I'll do a couple more when I finish the barn, it's been over 10yrs since this one.
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.48.57 AM.png

I had a lot of fun on my old Honda.
No top end, sure had a lot of torque though.
Two bad things, it didn't like to pass a gas station, and that death wobble 😲.
View attachment 1047164
As I recall the Super Hawk has a similar rev limiter setting as the Hawk GT. They feel like they would pull much longer than the rev limiter allows. The gear ratios Honda used still allowed good acceleration and top speed but riding them was a bit of a learning curve.

It's actually my 3rd Beta. I bought my first, a '15 300, new that year. This one is a '20 and replaced that one...The '15 is gone, but I still have a plated '18 350. I've had a couple of Gas Gas trials bikes, first was a '97 contact 270. That got replaced by a '14 280, which I still own.
Interesting. The 270 was pretty rare compared to the 250. We had the exact same bike. Mine was also a 97 model.

As I recall the Super Hawk has a similar rev limiter setting as the Hawk GT. They feel like they would pull much longer than the rev limiter allows. The gear ratios Honda used still allowed good acceleration and top speed but riding them was a bit of a learning curve.
Not sure about that, the hawk was a toy if comparing power, but could easily be set up to handle nice. The handling wasn't a strong point of the vtr, but it pulled pretty hard and had a wide power band which was fun.
I wasn't a fan of the gearing, it seemed much better on the 800 VFR I had, can't find any pictures of it (just a red version lol).

Not sure about that, the hawk was a toy if comparing power, but could easily be set up to handle nice. The handling wasn't a strong point of the vtr, but it pulled pretty hard and had a wide power band which was fun.
I wasn't a fan of the gearing, it seemed much better on the 800 VFR I had, can't find any pictures of it (just a red version lol).
The VFR series are some of the best bikes ever built. It’s not even fair to compare the the V4 engines to the twins.
I’m generally a Honda fan but a friend of mine had a Suzuki SV1000. It certainly hit the mark better than the Honda. The SV650 was no slouch either.

The VFR series are some of the best bikes ever built. It’s not even fair to compare the the V4 engines to the twins.
I’m generally a Honda fan but a friend of mine had a Suzuki SV1000. It certainly hit the mark better than the Honda. The SV650 was no slouch either.
I've built quite a few of the 1997-00 600s and 1996-99 750 GSXR's, they smoke a vfr quickly in a race, but the vfr is a nice bike to cruise on.
Ever see those videos of the Japanese cops on them, it's pretty awesome what they can make those bikes do.

It would make a cool scrambler. Some longer rear shocks to go with the forks would straighten out the geometry. Might need to add a chain roller.
already have shocks +3/4"
forks prolly could come up 1" or so in triples
triumph tubes, tapered on top, couldnt do that
suz ones can
be good fireroader
last real dirtbike was 81 kx420

I've built quite a few of the 1997-00 600s and 1996-99 750 GSXR's, they smoke a vfr quickly in a race, but the vfr is a nice bike to cruise on.
Ever see those videos of the Japanese cops on them, it's pretty awesome what they can make those bikes do.
The VFR was never meant to compete with the sport bikes. It appealed to riders that that wanted a sporting capability but also all day comfort and refinement.
That’s not to say that with a good rider sitting on it it couldn’t embarrass the sport bike riders. Sport bikes in general appeal to a less experienced class of riders. Very few sport bike riders ever get near the capability of their bike. I definitely fall into that category. I’ve never had any desire to crash on the street. Not to mention how uncomfortable they are.

There’s a guy I ride with sometimes here in New Mexico. He’s 70 years old but he’ll run off and leave me once we hit the twisties and it doesn’t matter what bike he’s on. He’s got a road racing background and that’s the only way to learn safely. Trying to push your limits on the street will get you killed or arrested.

Anyone like Gixxers, the boy does, he's a lot taller now lol.
Last bike I built, I'll do a couple more when I finish the barn, it's been over 10yrs since this one.
View attachment 1047193
If I was gonna buy a sport bike it would be a mid eighties GSXR 750. Not because I need it but in my opinion they’re the prettiest sport bikes ever built.

The VFR was never meant to compete with the sport bikes. It appealed to riders that that wanted a sporting capability but also all day comfort and refinement.
That’s not to say that with a good rider sitting on it it couldn’t embarrass the sport bike riders. Sport bikes in general appeal to a less experienced class of riders. Very few sport bike riders ever get near the capability of their bike. I definitely fall into that category. I’ve never had any desire to crash on the street. Not to mention how uncomfortable they are.

There’s a guy I ride with sometimes here in New Mexico. He’s 70 years old but he’ll run off and leave me once we hit the twisties and it doesn’t matter what bike he’s on. He’s got a road racing background and that’s the only way to learn safely. Trying to push your limits on the street will get you killed or arrested.
You're right, hence sport/touring designation. It's probably the fastest bikes I should be on, I play hard :oops:.
I don't consider myself a great rider, maybe a little above average, more some because of driving truck for many yrs and being able to somewhat see what's gonna happen before it does. That being said I liked to push the limits of my abilities and the bikes, sometimes that means bad things happen, some call that getting experience lol.
Notice the fresh scar on my wrist from the last time :innocent:. Gloves/leathers make a big difference.
Legs looked a bit rough too..
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 3.28.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 3.29.40 PM.png

If I was gonna buy a sport bike it would be a mid eighties GSXR 750. Not because I need it but in my opinion they’re the prettiest sport bikes ever built.
Makes sense as you're a bit older than me.
I'm a big SRAD fan, not sure how many I've had, but over 10 for sure.
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 3.31.01 PM.png

But I've also owned many other types to try out or to sell.
I think this was an 06 Katana.
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 3.31.33 PM.png

You're right, hence sport/touring designation. It's probably the fastest bikes I should be on, I play hard :oops:.
I don't consider myself a great rider, maybe a little above average, more some because of driving truck for many yrs and being able to somewhat see what's gonna happen before it does. That being said I liked to push the limits of my abilities and the bikes, sometimes that means bad things happen, some call that getting experience lol.
Notice the fresh scar on my wrist from the last time :innocent:. Gloves/leathers make a big difference.
Legs looked a bit rough too..
View attachment 1047277View attachment 1047278

Makes sense as you're a bit older than me.
I'm a big SRAD fan, not sure how many I've had, but over 10 for sure.
View attachment 1047279

But I've also owned many other types to try out or to sell.
I think this was an 06 Katana.
View attachment 1047280
That is exactly what I want to avoid. lol
I never ride without appropriate gear. Sliding on the pavement without it makes a guy uncomfortable for a very long time.

I have no idea what you mean by “SRAD”.
Does that give you an idea of how little interest and knowledge I have in late model sport bikes?

I used to go to bike shops and see all sorts of bikes I would love to have. Nowadays I hardly ever go to a bike shop.
$10,000 for a new dirt bike? I’ll pass.
I feel the same about new cars. Pickups for $60K and up? I could buy a killer 1970 911SC for less than that and have enough money left over for a perfectly good used pickup.

I guess somebody has to buy them but I’m glad it’s not me.

No idea that this ever existed.

There’s been a few attempts at marketing a bolt on 2WD system. None that were very successful. Rokon’s approach was the only one that made sense. That’s the only company I know of that ever had any success with 2WD. It only makes commercial sense on a utility bike.

They obviously did I it right. They’ve been around since fifties or sixties. I’ve always wanted one but have never pulled the trigger.

I've ridden the Rokons, to be honest they didn't impress me much, for serous off road riding the BEST bike I ever rode was a Kawasaki 250 trials bike. It was light, very good power, simple to maintain and totally reliable.

I rode mine to some really serious backwoods places in Alaska.

SR

There’s been a few attempts at marketing a bolt on 2WD system. None that were very successful. Rokon’s approach was the only one that made sense. That’s the only company I know of that ever had any success with 2WD. It only makes commercial sense on a utility bike.

They obviously did I it right. They’ve been around since fifties or sixties. I’ve always wanted one but have never pulled the trigger.

I worked at a cycle shop back in the early 70's. We didn't sell Rokon, but another shop just down the road about a mile or so, did.

If I'm not mistaken, back then, they sold for well under $600.00 or so. I did look at some back then, but I was into MX cycles.

They had a very specific niche to fill, and they did it well. They could go where other motorcycles couldn't and in a very capable way.

I worked at a cycle shop back in the early 70's. We didn't sell Rokon, but another shop just down the road about a mile or so, did.

If I'm not mistaken, back then, they sold for well under $600.00 or so. I did look at some back then, but I was into MX cycles.

They had a very specific niche to fill, and they did it well. They could go where other motorcycles couldn't and in a very capable way.
You certainly can’t buy one for less than $600 now.
That YZ490 in the video reminds me of the one I rode in the 1990 Las Vegas 300.
It was the final race of the season in the Best In The Desert series. It was also the scene of the worst motorcycle crash I have ever had. Over the bars end over end with the bike cartwheeling along with me. All on a very rocky shelf road switchback. I managed to get my act together enough to survey the damage to myself and the bike. I was in agony and the bike had extensive damage but I managed to get it started and nursed it back to the pits to complete the race.

I had to be driven back to Albuquerque in my own car. lol
Of all the crashes I’ve had that one really got my attention. I’ve never taken a spill that bad since.

You certainly can’t buy one for less than $600 now.
That YZ490 in the video reminds me of the one I rode in the 1990 Las Vegas 300.
It was the final race of the season in the Best In The Desert series. It was also the scene of the worst motorcycle crash I have ever had. Over the bars end over end with the bike cartwheeling along with me. All on a very rocky shelf road switchback. I managed to get my act together enough to survey the damage to myself and the bike. I was in agony and the bike had extensive damage but I managed to get it started and nursed it back to the pits to complete the race.

I had to be driven back to Albuquerque in my own car. lol
Of all the crashes I’ve had that one really got my attention. I’ve never taken a spill that bad since.

A lot of m/c's were reasonably priced back in the early 70's. Those days are long gone and never to be seen again.

Back