lets see them motorcycles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of m/c's were reasonably priced back in the early 70's. Those days are long gone and never to be seen again.
Yep. It’s amazing how fast the prices of cars and bikes have gone up just over the last 10-15 years. I’ve only bought three new cars and one new motorcycle. My VF1000R was $6,300 when I bought it new in 1990. It was still in the crate and it was way more expensive than other sportbikes.
I bought a brand new 2002 Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4 cylinder 5spd 4WD for $20,500. It would easily be over $50K today. It’s a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a consumable product. None for me thanks.

Yep. It’s amazing how fast the prices of cars and bikes have gone up just over the last 10-15 years. I’ve only bought three new cars and one new motorcycle. My VF1000R was $6,300 when I bought it new in 1990. It was still in the crate and it was way more expensive than other sportbikes.
I bought a brand new 2002 Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4 cylinder 5spd 4WD for $20,500. It would easily be over $50K today. It’s a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a consumable product. None for me thanks.

I too, had a Honda VF1000R. Bought it new in April of 1987. It was a 1986 hold over model. Honda had a "Rockin Rebate" going on, and the VF1000R was in it. I got $1K cash back when I bought.

I think I paid just a little over $5K for it. Then, I got a $1K check back from Honda. :dancing:

The only brand new car or truck I've ever bought, was a 1974 Ford Econoline van. I bought it about 6 months before I entered the military. I put $1K down and my monthly payments were $106.00 for three years.

I too, had a Honda VF1000R. Bought it new in April of 1987. It was a 1986 hold over model. Honda had a "Rockin Rebate" going on, and the VF1000R was in it. I got $1K cash back when I bought.

I think I paid just a little over $5K for it. Then, I got a $1K check back from Honda. :dancing:

The only brand new car or truck I've ever bought, was a 1974 Ford Econoline van. I bought it about 6 months before I entered the military. I put $1K down and my monthly payments were $106.00 for three years.
Sounds like a great deal on the 1000. I would guess it’s appreciated a bit. The van too.

I don't blink too much at the price of bikes. I don't ride as much as I used to, but when I was dirt riding a few times a week and racing, a new bike every other year was a good investment towards my sanity.

The bikes are so good nowadays too, even a "bad" bike is still pretty good. Suspension, brakes, chassis, motors, it's all pretty good. The closed cartridge forks in my modern dirtbikes were a decent improvement over the open cartridge forks of the bikes I rode 15-20 years ago...which were a massive improvement over the damping rod forks of the olden days. The motors are great, my main ride is an e-start, counter-balanced 2 stroke with a 6 speed gearbox...those are tangible benefits over my yz250 that I used to ride.

In the case of my 350, it doesn't have the poor low-speed manners that the water-cooled 4 strokes did in the early 2000's...and it's not a slow, fluffy bike either...I was hitting 90 in a speed trap at the last race I did with it. Get to a technical spot, it's perfectly happy going up a rocky waterfall in 1st gear at a walking pace. It does all this and somehow it comes from the factory with a license plate.

As far as the streetbikes, I really don't know enough about them to have a strong opinion. I have my mt09, which I like after I did a few mods. It's not a dedicated sports bike, yet it's still boring to ride at legal speeds. I look at some of the modern liter bikes and you can't legally use even a fraction of their potential on public roads...that fact would make it hard for me to spend money on one.

Sounds like a great deal on the 1000. I would guess it’s appreciated a bit. The van too.

My VF1000R is long gone! Sold it back in 2003 to buy a Kawasaki ZRX1200R.

03grnus.jpg

Back