Lets talk about Jugs! Stihl 044/MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay let's pick this up where we left off. Needed half a year to finish renovating my barn and get hitched.

After the last message I put the decked and "flow improved" meteor jug on the saw and ran it on 40:1 a little rich and it had an impressive amount of torque but is definitely not a screamer. While turning in the H screw at WOT it hits a certain rpm where it wants to go lean really quickly. So last night I put the old slant fin jug back on and measured the squish. It used to measure 0.033" (with a new piston) but due to carbon on the piston it is now 0.029". So I chucked the mandrel and cylinder in the lathe and took off 8.5 thousands leaving the squish at 0.0205". In the next few days I will degree wheel it and clean up the ports. Then I will run them back to back with same chain/bar and see what happens. I'll take some good pictures and record all the port durations and squish numbers and then test them in the wood. I want to make it as concise as possible, likely a Column A Column B table.

Also doing an 026 right now, anybody got any good numbers or advice?

Back