Let's talk chainsaw chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about the Pants though. there were on huskys old website but i can't find them anymore. they were blue and they weren't like chaps they were well pants!.

The ones I hade then (This was quite a few years ago) were pants, What I have now are more like bibs. The bibs are lighter and much more comfortable to wear ( think fatigue) with the same or better protection due to the better tech. they have now. Any approved PPE is by far better than none.

how much are a few stitches in your leg? I would bet a lot more than a hundred dollar set of chaps. I have the stihl chaps but have never tested them so I can't say how good they might work. A hundred bucks will seem cheap if you ever did "test" your chaps

how much are a few stitches in your leg? I would bet a lot more than a hundred dollar set of chaps. I have the stihl chaps but have never tested them so I can't say how good they might work. A hundred bucks will seem cheap if you ever did "test" your chaps

er visit with x-rays, a really cute PA and a sick student, 3300 clams..

I'm not disputing the price of the chaps, I'm just trying to find out which is the better chainsaw chap to purchase. Protection is the most important issue here and if the $100 pair of chaps provides the most protection, I will purchase them.

I'm just confused, so there is no better place to ask for help than here.

Thanks
Gary

i wear stihl "wrap" chaps, which wrap around the back of your leg. i like them, they dont flop around and trip you, they are buckled securley around your shin, like jeans.

I have only used Labonville full wrap so I can't comment on the others. They fit great if you follow the fitting instructions on their site and break in pretty quick. Two thumbs up for me!

Protection is the most important issue here and if the $100 pair of chaps provides the most protection, I will purchase them.

I suspect the best protection will be from the thick Stihl chaps or the 9 layer Labonville Competition chaps. Give me $200 and I'll tell you which one works the best. I'm glad I bought the Competition chaps when they were about $71 last year. ($79 in my size, and 10% off at the time)

Despite being listed as 'special order only', I ordered orange (more Dolmar orange than Husky) in a common size and got immediate shipment.
The green might look a bit better, but who cares what I look like in the woods? There's no benefit I can think of to not being highly visible out there.

i wear stihl "wrap" chaps, which wrap around the back of your leg. i like them, they dont flop around and trip you, they are buckled securley around your shin, like jeans.

Same here. I am not about to 'test' them on purpose, but they are comfortable and provide coverage.

zh

As important as wearing chaps protection, it is to get a safety traing class about how to handle a chainsaw together with proper safety gear.....I know...I know...I'm stepping on many toes now...but it is so easy to learn bad and unsafe habits....do you have some??? To be a lifetime safe chain saw operator it is important to learn the good habits before you learn the shortcut and bad habits...that way you can calculate the risk taking shortcuts...

The most important is to never work alone, or at least have someone to check on you every once in a while (once an hour).....keep an online cellphone and emergency band aid in breast pocket of your safety colored (orange) logging jacket....

wear...

Safety approved hard hat with ear protection and eye protection....ear rpotection must be the type that are attached to the hard hat, that helps the hard hat to stay on your head...

Logging pants with 20m/s minimum protection...

Logging boots with steel toe and chain protection...

Logging gloves with some chain protection , right hand with 2-5 fingers plus thumb...

Also..

Keep chain sharp....

Make sure chain stops when idling the saw....(proboly the most common reason for chain cut injuries)

Make sure the kick back protection on your saw works properly....there are saws with kickback protection on both the front and the back handle....

Make sure the throttle trigger cant be activated just from "inside" the back handle...

If you walk or move with saw running, carry it in the front handle in your left hand (same left hand grip as when you operate)

Stay Safe out there!!

Good stuff... Thanks for posting.

I wear the Husky full wrap chaps, those Labonvilles look really good too. The cost of $100 chaps are a heckuva cheaper than one visit to the ER!

I don't ever want to find out how well they work!

Does anybody have the summer pants chaps? What about protective coats? Anybody have those arm chaps?

I wear the Forestry Supply chaps (green) and really like them - they are not full wrap but the straps keep them snug and out of the way.

For gloves I had a really hard time finding a pair with anything more than kevlar on the back of the left hand. I finally found a pair that are completely made of kevlar - a little bulky but I know that if I slip or have some sort of accident my whole hand is safe.

For the top I wear an elvex chainsaw vest - it has kevlar in the shoulders but the rest is nylon. I figure this gets the most likely kickback scenario.

For boots I choose the Matterhorn 10" chainsaw boot - steel toe, kevlar tops but dang they cost real cabbage ($300 or so).

I have a pair of Husqvarna chaps

they are ok but if I had to buy again I'd go for the Labonville. These Husqvarna chaps have stiff buckles that are hard to work with gloves on, and the cargo pocket opening stretches closed when the chaps are buckled on, making it useless. Criticisms aside, while I'm out working I forget they're even on, and they rock for going through brambles and poison ivy, which goes through my jeans if they are wet or damp.

I'm on my second pair of Labonville's. The first pair lasted two seasons and I replaced them after I spilled oil on them. They were pretty beat anyway. This time I bought the wrap arounds and they are much easier to wear in the brush. No more snagging, I love them.

Any name brand pair of chaps is better than no chaps. Get what you want.
Dok

I recently got the Labonville Competition Chaps.

Really like having them, and they are warm. Probably wear shorts with them in 50+ weather.

And for the safety notes above...Yes, I work alone 99% of the time. I should check in with someone. And also a wise man takes many less risks when alone.

Also, I caught myself getting a little cocky with the chaps on whilst limbing on the near side of the trunk...so you gotta watch that too.

Be sure you get enough length. I'd like 2" longer, but the step (next size) is 4" and that probably adds a 1/2 pound to 'em.

echo chaps? like these? they look nice!

cherie_currie_chainsaw.jpg

Same here. I am not about to 'test' them on purpose, but they are comfortable and provide coverage.

what about the Pants though. there were on huskys old website but i can't find them anymore. they were blue and they weren't like chaps they were well pants!.

The local Jonsered dealer was still selling the pants, but in green, for about $75. I have to assume that they are the same, or very similar.

Philbert

Diamond Gusset makes the "Defender" motorcycle jeans. 100% USA denim with kevlar panels added--for around a 100.

Wonder if they'd make some with the stringy fibres we need? probably be bulky as all hell.

I wear the Forestry Supply chaps (green) and really like them - they are not full wrap but the straps keep them snug and out of the way.

For gloves I had a really hard time finding a pair with anything more than kevlar on the back of the left hand. I finally found a pair that are completely made of kevlar - a little bulky but I know that if I slip or have some sort of accident my whole hand is safe.

For the top I wear an elvex chainsaw vest - it has kevlar in the shoulders but the rest is nylon. I figure this gets the most likely kickback scenario.

For boots I choose the Matterhorn 10" chainsaw boot - steel toe, kevlar tops but dang they cost real cabbage ($300 or so).

I'm not being a smartass but why is the lefthand in danger when cutting? I'm pretty green still.

steve

Latest posts

Back