Let's talk chainsaw chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wistattman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was at the local Stihl dealer today picking up parts and noticed they had a pair of Stihl chainsaw chaps on the shelf. I picked them up and was reading the size, etc when I saw the price tag. I had sticker shock because I had been looking on Labonville's website and knew what the price was of their competition wrap around chaps. The local dealer had $99 marked on the Stihl chaps.

So, I got on internet to read more about the chaps. Apparently you can get 7 or 9 layers of Engtex® in the Stihl's chaps and 6-Ply kevlar polyester blend in the Labonville's chap. Of course I have no clue as to which is better so I'm hoping maybe some of the members of AS would have some input on this.

If you were going to purchase a pair of chainsaw chaps, what would you buy or what did you buy?

Thanks
Gary

I was at the local Stihl dealer today picking up parts and noticed they had a pair of Stihl chainsaw chaps on the shelf. I picked them up and was reading the size, etc when I saw the price tag. I had sticker shock because I had been looking on Labonville's website and knew what the price was of their competition wrap around chaps. The local dealer had $99 marked on the Stihl chaps.

So, I got on internet to read more about the chaps. Apparently you can get 7 or 9 layers of Engtex® in the Stihl's chaps and 6-Ply kevlar polyester blend in the Labonville's chap. Of course I have no clue as to which is better so I'm hoping maybe some of the members of AS would have some input on this.

If you were going to purchase a pair of chainsaw chaps, what would you buy or what did you buy?

Thanks
Gary

I own Labonville and Elvex full wrap models. I examined the Stihl chaps at the dealer and was unimpressed--too thin. Even though the thinner Stihl chaps may be cooler in warm weather, I'll lean toward better protection every time.

I've got a few hours in these here and they seem fine. Go long, or longer. Until I try to cut my leg off, I honestly can't say how great they are.. but they have to be better then just the jeans I have been cutting in for years prior.

I have the 9 ply stihl chaps, I think I paid 65 for them.. fit great and are nottoo hot.. I'm starting to think I have the only cheap stihl dealer here..

Stihl-Husqvarna-Jonsered are marketing on the European market aswell....
In general there are higher requirements on logging protection gear in Europe (Sweden) than in US
Lowest protection Euro class is
Class 1 promise protection up to 20 m/s chain speed (could be higher)
Class 2 promise protection up to 24 m/s chain speed (could be higher)

These labonville chaps protects up to 14 ms (2750 ftpm) (could be higher)to meet the new standard ASTM F-1897-2008...read on this elvex pdf.......
http://www.elvex.com/2009-Chainsaw-chaps-vest.pdf

If Stihl protection gear that are marketed in US, are the same as in Europe....well then we know...but It could be so that they go "cheap" in US, where the requirements are lower....about that I cant tell....

I think you should surf around the net and check what standard S-H-J are tested for here in US...

The current standard in Europe is EN 381-5:1999

If you go to your local S-H-J dealer and check their protection pants....look for this tag...EN 381-5:1999 together with the US tag ASTM F-1897-2008...

PerA
Forest Engineer and retired Swedish forestry teacher and logging trainer

I've been looking at chaps also. If you go to the Labonville website
http://www.labonville.com/videos/v2.htm
and watch their video, it's pretty impressive. Their chaps prevented the chain from penetrating through the chaps. The "competitors" brands still had cut through. Most other chaps companies claim to MINIMIZE the injury due to cutting chaps with a moving chain. I don't know what other brands they tested, or if those met the ASTM specs, or were UL tested, so I can't say that the Stihl or Husky brand chaps won't protect you as well as the Labonville chaps. Based on reviews/opinions here, and from watching that video, I'm leaning heavily toward the Labonville chaps. They're slightly more expensive than ones I could buy locally, but I think it's worth the extra money to be protected. Now, If they would only have a sale...

i got a pair from my local dealer, husqy branded. they are awesome. they have a space with no protection under the belt, right where your leg bends so that theres more freedom of motion there. and they have three straps around the shin and calf. awesome for moving through brush and snow becuase they dont get caught on anything. i think i paid less than $70 for them.

A set of Huskys saved my legs when a wide open saw ended up in my lap. I highly recomend them. :bowdown:

what about the Pants though. there were on huskys old website but i can't find them anymore. they were blue and they weren't like chaps they were well pants!.

I got a pair of stihl chaps (black) 65 bucks. They have to be decent for stihl to put their name on it.

I would have bought the Labonville brand but the shipping is really high

They seem ok to me - I hope I never get the chance to report on the subject !!

As important as wearing chaps protection, it is to get a safety traing class about how to handle a chainsaw together with proper safety gear.....I know...I know...I'm stepping on many toes now...but it is so easy to learn bad and unsafe habits....do you have some??? To be a lifetime safe chain saw operator it is important to learn the good habits before you learn the shortcut and bad habits...that way you can calculate the risk taking shortcuts...

The most important is to never work alone, or at least have someone to check on you every once in a while (once an hour).....keep an online cellphone and emergency band aid in breast pocket of your safety colored (orange) logging jacket....

wear...

Safety approved hard hat with ear protection and eye protection....ear rpotection must be the type that are attached to the hard hat, that helps the hard hat to stay on your head...

Logging pants with 20m/s minimum protection...

Logging boots with steel toe and chain protection...

Logging gloves with some chain protection , right hand with 2-5 fingers plus thumb...

Also..

Keep chain sharp....

Make sure chain stops when idling the saw....(proboly the most common reason for chain cut injuries)

Make sure the kick back protection on your saw works properly....there are saws with kickback protection on both the front and the back handle....

Make sure the throttle trigger cant be activated just from "inside" the back handle...

If you walk or move with saw running, carry it in the front handle in your left hand (same left hand grip as when you operate)

Stay Safe out there!!

Latest posts

Back