Light weight bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFV

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience running light weight bars on the large stihl saws? I guess it’s the s2 mount I think I am going to try to find one for my 880 I am thinking 28-32”. I am currently running a stihl 36” which is good but it is nose heavy.

I run Stihl lightweight bars on nearly every saw I own. Can’t say a bad thing about them. In fact they make the lightest “light” bar currently on the market. I think some of the Sugi bars come close but I have no experience with them. Anyway I run them because my back is screwed up so any weight savings I can get really helps. I have a 28” light bar on my 038 mag as well as my Dolmar 7900 which is nearly 79cc. Not a 880 but it’s a good size saw.

I run the stihl ES light bar at 20in on all my 460 and 461 saws, the difference in weight is worth it but they bend real easy and are basically junk afterward.

I have an unused Stihl 32" light bar and full comp chain in 3/8 0.050 I'd be willing to sell. Came with my 500i and I never used it.

I might be interested in partial trade for a 36" bar and full skip chain. Used and standard weight would be fine, will likely never be used.

I’m running the Stihl light bars on all my bigger saws and love em! My 661 has a 36” light bar, and the difference between it and the standard bar is nicely very noticeable. The quality is excellent too.

I purchased a 28” Husqvarna baranded Sugi light bar, but it doesn’t feel much lighter than the standard Oregon made Husqvarna 28 inch’r.

The short of is I’m a big fan, especially with the Stihl light bars.

I’m small (and old) and I run them on most of my saws. I like them but the super light bars are, IMHO, too flexible for falling. I’ve found the Tsumura Lite and Tuff and Oregon Versalite to be a good compromise. I haven’t used the Stihls yet.
Remember that any weight you save on the bar is amplified because of the leverage.

I have an unused Stihl 32" light bar and full comp chain in 3/8 0.050 I'd be willing to sell. Came with my 500i and I never used it.

I might be interested in partial trade for a 36" bar and full skip chain. Used and standard weight would be fine, will likely never be used.
I might be interested in that

Yep I wouldn’t mind going with a cannon but they don’t make the duralite in the 3002 mount
Cannon should be able to make you any tail mount in any bar if you order it. The wait time might be months but they try to accommodate everyone as far as I've ever heard about them. Never considered them being worth the money until you buy your first one. Still think they are overpriced but I own several.

If you buy the best you will always be happy with it.
I'll add that if your not send it back and try again.

Making LW bars in 14mm isn't popular with production lines that need to tool up and setup for a different run of a very limited amount. If they did make more of any real quality the 50" would be so floppy you couldn't use it without having a small saw to lay in cut lines first.
Think of a 56-64" LW noodle like bar lmao! It would be even funnier if you made a LW Forester 5x" anything lol rof.
41" or a 36"ES is about it imo which is worth little.

How could you use one even with the taller backbone over four feet long besides bucking?

Does anyone have any experience running light weight bars on the large stihl saws? I guess it’s the s2 mount I think I am going to try to find one for my 880 I am thinking 28-32”. I am currently running a stihl 36” which is good but it is nose heavy.
S1 mount is 14mm 3002
S2 mount is 12mm 3003
S3 mount is the small 3005

You'd be better off running a six series Stihl or a five series Husqvarna with a bar under three feet.

Just thought it would be nice to have u do all kinds of different things and that saw will bring it. Lighten up the front a little bit and have at it
My 41ES WN is a bear to handle other than bucking. If it was a LW I'm not sure it would have the same capabilities so... I bought another new on to see if LW is the way to go for cutting or felling. The thing is around here we don't have much use for really working a big saw besides bucking, stumps and storm damage. Now there big bad and fast may have some merit plus ripping odd angles on Y cuts. The bigger trees do swallow a three foot bar pretty quick.
Switching from 404 to 375 would be my choice if going to an LW setup.

The bigger the bar, the bigger the benefit that comes with a lightweight bar. I'd run lightweight bars on everything they're available for, no question. Especially if you cut a lot. You may not notice it now, but you from 20 years in the future will thank you for getting the light weight bar.

Back