Light weight bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bigger the bar, the bigger the benefit that comes with a lightweight bar. I'd run lightweight bars on everything they're available for, no question. Especially if you cut a lot. You may not notice it now, but you from 20 years in the future will thank you for getting the light weight bar.
Ok but what about a 42" or a 50"?

I thought this was worth repeating. A heavy wide bar will likely cut flatter.
Not lightened. The belly was added for a reason.

Anyone please go setup a mill and tell me how the longer bar sags less. Milling is different but trying to keep a chain on a 50" LW noodle or longer while trying to start cuts in bark doesn't work anything like you think it will. If you do hold the bar straight your chain is coming off in short order. You also need to use a certain part of the bar and flex it just so or the chain is coming off of that 60 or 72". I had an old timer teach me by phone and it wasn't easy but I got it. Tossed some chains off at first. Using a flexy LW bar would make it much harder to keep the chain on and the cuts straight. If you cut the least bit crooked your screwed. LW would sag and melt on a CSM imo. Don't use it in Phoenix it might curl up and die :)

Back