Lil Shindaiwa 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my little Shindaiwa 360 arrived in the mail yesterday. Got a chance to start it up and check it over. Seems to run and oil well, started easily.

I wouldn't usually buy something like a chainsaw online, but my local chainsaw market is pretty terrible and I paid little enough for the 360 that I figured I didn't have much to lose. I been had, a little, not by malice but by stupidity (I think).

The seller said the saw didn't seem to oil well. I figured best case it needed a cleaning and worst case it needed an oil pump.

When I ran the saw on the bench, I was surprised to see that it oiled great and was fairly clean. I cleaned out the grooves and ports on the bar. I went to put the saw together....but couldn't get the bar and chain on quite right any which way.

Then I noticed the two bolts holding the tentioner together rigging all around.

I'm not 100% (I should run the numbers on the bar), but I think the bar is a close, but not correct, mount. The oil port seems off and the bar is burned up. I think the pressure from the wrong bar mount and dull oil-less chain had wiggled these bolts loose and stripped them out.

I do have a question at the end of this: what's my best option to rethread these holes? Helicoil? Bore, tap, larger bolts or threaded insert? I'm a little nervous about the thickness of the case and weakening anything by making the holes larger.
PXL_20210523_131651171.jpg
PXL_20210523_131726476.jpg

Old thread so I am sure you have fixed this already but just in case and for others with similar problem with a Shindaiwa: to me that bar looks like A095 or K095 mount (note the oiling hole). Your saw uses K041 mount which is a bit different and oils through adjuster holes. So with that bar the chain is not getting oil. K095 can be modified to work in K041 saw but its easier to just buy the correct bar (Oregon has them).

Cannot help you with the bolt holes though. Maybe try thread repair tap first?

Hope you got it fixed.

Back