Linear actuators for your next splitter upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have found these inexpensive linear actuators for my JD Gators dump beds, and am seriously impressed to the point I will share it with you friends. I don't get to contribute much here, since I am in Florida and don't need heat (don't use it at all), I mostly come here to see you guys who do heat with wood and your ingenuity and grit. I cut blow downs and standing dead for the chainsaw therapy.

I am lazy.

I don't pick up wood by hand. I have my Skid Steer an cut logs pretty long and put them on my 16 long table and make rounds standing upright. I roll them off the end onto the splitter beam and set splits on a table next to me and three steps away from my shed/stacks.

I have a ton of wooded Hammock land, and I have been digging white clay and other fill from 20 acres away and dump 1000 lbs into the Gator which dumps it wherever I want much faster than my skidder one bucket at a time.....

These actuators I am using are about 14" closed OA, and have 8" of travel. If you need a log lift? You can fab something to make use of an actuator. You'd be surprised how little travel you need if you triangulate your pivot points and mounting points.

I really want a very small conveyor. Like a treadmill maybe, to set splits on and send them literally six feet to someone who can just stack them. My log table, splitter, and 10 by 20 carport are all right in front of my shed. I'm thinking I can make an actuator run a cam/sprocket that will advance the treadmill eight inches (or more) at a time, and I wont have to shove/push pull or throw splits to the stack behind me. I'm not in a hurry, but I hate walking back four steps to stack..... They make these things with all kinds of different lengths and lift force.

Be creative.
Sold by idealgoods2016 ( 792 )Order number: 09-06782-34044
+ Show additional actions​

Delivered on Sun, Mar 28, 2021
+ Show shipping details

DC 12V Linear Actuator 1320LBS/6000N 200mm for Auto Car Lift Heavy Duty Medical

DC 12V Linear Actuator 1320LBS/6000N 200mm for Auto Car Lift Heavy Duty Medical

Item price$99.98
Item discount-$5.00
Quantity2
Item number373420313234
Package CarrierFedEx

Thanks for the post.Here's my experience with one.
I've had the 2005 quad about twelve years, and bought this trailer shortly after. Drove from west MI to south of Cleveland to get it at the time.
Two years ago it needed work, as the actuator no longer functioned and I had to hand unload. No fun, after loading. Turned out to be wiring. I pulled the box off and completely redid the wiring rather than patch the old harness, and improved it as well. Originally there were two plug-ins. One for tail light and electric brakes. One for the actuator. That made for loose wires at the rear of the quad, long enough to accommodate a trailer, and wiring on the trailer tongue that was poorly protected.
Added an electric terminal box for $12.00 or something and made it all into a seven plug mount and did new brakes as well. The seven plugs come in a variety of configurations, which I did not realize at the time. The wiring is very well protected and the plug clips in to make a great connection. This fix will protect the wiring for another twelve years.
IMG_8101.jpgIMG_4098.jpgIMG_1872.jpgIMG_1873.jpgThe actuator is not fast, but strong and steady. It does lack zerks or any lubrication points other than the dump box pivots themselves. Twelve years, no complaints. I added a tongue jack as well for unhooking when loaded, or partially loaded. I actually did not expect wiring to be the only issue, due to age, but the actuator has proven itself to be reliable. I did paint a red band on the actuator shaft near full extension as a reference when using.
Previous unprotected wiring would be wrapped around lower center bar when not in use. Four season elements didn't help.
IMG_1690.jpg

Back