Linn Lumber Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarpenterdad

I like Husqvarna chainsaws...
Reaction score
I've wanted a bandsaw style woodmill for years. After looking at whats out there, I believe the Linn woodmill is my best choice. The 4 post design and screw mechanism used to raise/lower the mill, the ease of upgrading for moving the mill and cutting assembly. Plus I can buy the plans and build it as my finances allow. I have never milled before and am looking for advice. Thanks

The acme thread raise and lower seems the best aspect here. I just thought there was so much more for the cost with Cooks mp32. It looks to me like almost all the weight of the Linn is on one side of what holds it up and from twisting.

It looks like the blade direction is opposite from other designs I have seen. Just a matter of turning the blade "inside out"

I bought a Linn 190A saw carriage that was built but not assembled. I painted it, assembled it and built a 20' bed for it. Installed a Honda GX390 13hp to drive it. I haven't used it nearly as much as I'd like to but for a first timer like myself it is a breeze to operate.

If you check out my youtube channel I have some videos of me building it and running it a few times.

I looked hard at the Linn mills, but by the time I factored in freight to NC, I went with a Woodmizer LX55 instead, as the final cost wasn't terribly different between the two. The Linn looked like a good design for the most part, but I wanted something where I have dealer support an hour down the road.
The one thing I really liked about the Linn would be the ability to upgrade it in a piecemeal fashion, as was mentioned. I can't really do that with my woodmizer.

I dont have a linn. I called the company back when I was building my mill but he was busy and I was impatient. I like the look them and would have bought the saw head components had they been available at the time. I decided to go with a chain based lifting system. I was concerned with the acme screws getting packed with dust. In retrospect I dont think this would be much of a problem (unless cutting a good deal of pine ?). I welded up a 4 post design with the saw head tracking on 1 1/4" cold rolled solid round bar and bronze bushings.

I've wanted a bandsaw style woodmill for years. After looking at whats out there, I believe the Linn woodmill is my best choice. The 4 post design and screw mechanism used to raise/lower the mill, the ease of upgrading for moving the mill and cutting assembly. Plus I can buy the plans and build it as my finances allow. I have never milled before and am looking for advice. Thanks
If you are going to build a mill look on YouTube Old man’s mill this is a really well thought out design .
I dont have a linn. I called the company back when I was building my mill but he was busy and I was impatient. I like the look them and would have bought the saw head components had they been available at the time. I decided to go with a chain based lifting system. I was concerned with the acme screws getting packed with dust. In retrospect I dont think this would be much of a problem (unless cutting a good deal of pine ?). I welded up a 4 post design with the saw head tracking on 1 1/4" cold rolled solid round bar and bronze bushings.
I built a bandsaw mill several years ago I used the acme screws they work great also they turn and move in a accurate rate I used motor with timer to select thickness of cut it works very well.

Latest posts

Back