Little Jag of Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When you asked my Dad how much wood was on a job, he would say, " Just a little Jag". A jag was quite relative, usually meant a small load. But sometimes, it meant multiple big trees coming down in the rear yard, that had to be wheeled out, with no damage to the lawn. Dad passed in 2004 and I still miss him, especially when firewood season starts. Well this is a little load. Two dead trees on my friends farm. One White Oak and One cherry, both with all the bark gone. Man, nothing smells like dry White Oak, or dry Cherry for that matter. Wish they made after shave in Cherry, Joe.

Nice Jag of wood you got there.

I used to work in the scrap metal business, the term "jag" is used a lot. Customers would say "I have a jag of aluminum today" or "I have a jag of copper" etc.

I used to work with a retired truck driver who used the term "jag" describing a load. After that a couple of us starting saying a jag of this or jag of that and had some fun with it.

Wife & I were out to the local hot spot last night listening to live music with some friends. Had a great time (we don't get out much). Had to leave in a hurry due to our ride suddenly showing up, and are just now realizing we left without paying the tab. We must have had a bit of a jag on - ooops....

(True story...)

Take some cherry wood saw dust add to some witch hazel allow the hazel to absorb the cherry scent then strain it off and use as after shave. Makes a little jag of the stuff.

:D Al

Jeff, I just noticed you are from down under. I did a WIKI search of Black Cherry, it's primary use is cabinetry. It says it "was" considered a forestry tree, now considered a weed tree, and border tree. It does grow every where birds drop the seeds, and likes fence rows and the edges of forests. It didn't say how tall they get. I have seen them at least 60-70 feet, straight as an arrow in the forests. It has little sap wood and gets a deep rich red color, often used in picture frames and tables. It also said it is one of the most expensive cabinetry woods. Some people think it is a shame to burn it, but, it does grow every where, and has a very pleasant, sweet smell, when burning. I'll post some pics of a pile of Cherry firewood next to a pile of White Oak and you can see the color difference. Cheers, Joe.

Love wild cherry's. As a kid we would climb the trees to pick the cherries and mom would make the best jelly you ever ate. I hated pitting the small fruit. All seeds have to be removed as they contain cyanide, as does the leaves and bark. Farmers will go around their pastures and cut every cherry tree anywhere near their fence lines. The wild cherry leaves can poison cattle. Large trees make nice lumber and I have cut trees close to 40in dia. Dragged one out of the river over 48in dia and had it sawn into slabs. Dont know what I am going to do with it yet, my wife will make those plans.

Latest posts

Back