Loaned my Homeite 330 to a guy; and he ran it with straight gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wills

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Contractor doing work on my property couldn't get his chainsaw to run, so I offered to let him my 330. I bought this saw new in the 1980's, and I have ben the only one to use it in all these years. It has been flawless until someone else used it. Long story shortened, when they used upa full tank of my premix, his "helper" put straight gas in it, and ran it til is seized up. He gave it back to be at end of the day, and wouldn't accept responsibility for the misuse.
Friend who works on small engines disassembled it, and the piston is toast and ring broken/& seized in the groove. I want this saw to run again. Anyone here have anything like this happen to them? Is a new piston & ring most likely all I'll need (parts)? I'm looking at getting an OEM piston Homelite 330 piston .
Although I'm new here on arboristsite, I'm hoping someone will can steer me to a good source. Oh, and BTW, the guy that burned it up is an 'in-your-face' type person who will not own his problems.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, there are quite a few people out there that go through life never owning their mistakes. I’m guessing that contractor will lose future potential business as you’ll never use or recommend him again. Had he owned it and offered to get it fixed, you’d be recommending him all over town. He’ll reap what he sews.

Find a good parts saw...steal the top end, i needed rings and piston for mine and after 2 pistons and 3 sets of rings I was assured would fit...i found an oem set of rings and cleaned up the original piston...ran great

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Is a new piston & ring most likely all I'll need (parts)? I'm looking at getting an OEM piston Homelite 330 piston .
My guess is that you'll have to deal with aluminum transfer on the cylinder. If you're fortunate, it can be removed (lots of threads on various methods). If not, you're in the market for a cylinder as well. If you just put in a new piston, it will likely last less than a tankful or two.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Going to get it apart again, find out just what it needs, and buy the parts to get it running again. If it's just the piston, and hone the cylinder, then I'll buy a brand new good quality piston with rings. If the cylinder is shot, well, as one of you pointed out, they are out there too. Seems like $50 or so plus the time to do the work, should do it. 👍

Hope it goes good. I feel for ya. Crazy to think a guy doesn't know what a saw takes gas wise. Best of luck and if you rebuild it post a couple pics. We would love to see it brought back to life. Take care wills

I don't imagine there's much aftermarket stuff for a 330 so it'll probably have to be new old stock. 330 not the easiest saw to work on but not impossible. Don't hone the cylinder, if anything get some small amounts of muratic acid on a Q tip and go over the aluminum transfer then rinse with water (you may have to repeat this step a few times) then maybe some light sanding going around the cylinder, never up and down. Good luck...

Contractor doing work on my property couldn't get his chainsaw to run, so I offered to let him my 330. I bought this saw new in the 1980's, and I have ben the only one to use it in all these years. It has been flawless until someone else used it. Long story shortened, when they used upa full tank of my premix, his "helper" put straight gas in it, and ran it til is seized up. He gave it back to be at end of the day, and wouldn't accept responsibility for the misuse.
Friend who works on small engines disassembled it, and the piston is toast and ring broken/& seized in the groove. I want this saw to run again. Anyone here have anything like this happen to them? Is a new piston & ring most likely all I'll need (parts)? I'm looking at getting an OEM piston Homelite 330 piston .
Although I'm new here on arboristsite, I'm hoping someone will can steer me to a good source. Oh, and BTW, the guy that burned it up is an 'in-your-face' type person who will not own his problems.
Unfortunately most contractors I've ever dealt with consider tools disposable and abuse them until they fail then throw them away and buy another one. They figure that into the price you pay them, so they don't care. I tend not to loan out tools at all. I've had similar experiences.

I will say you are taking this really, really well. If someone straight gassed a saw I'd had since I bought it new in 1980s, I'd be really hot.
Witholding a chunk of his pay would be a good starting point towards making things right. It is just too bad he is not man enough to opwn his mistake and do whatever he can to rectify things. Makes me wonder if it was really "his helper" that refueled the saw.

I will say you are taking this really, really well. If someone straight gassed a saw I'd had since I bought it new in 1980s, I'd be really hot.
Witholding a chunk of his pay would be a good starting point towards making things right. It is just too bad he is not man enough to opwn his mistake and do whatever he can to rectify things. Makes me wonder if it was really "his helper" that refueled the saw.
Or he is just one of those people who thinks they're not responsible for the things people they bring on to your property do. }:-(

https://www.lilredbarn.net/Replacement-Homelite-Chainsaw-Parts-s/43.htm
https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/store/c45/Homelite_Chainsaw.html
Sorry to hear about your saw. Had my 50 year old stepson do the same to one of my saws. Now no one can borrow anything. Somehow it was my fault that he is an idiot.

Best of luck
50 years old is a little "old" for that mistake. I've run into that before. Some people have 30 years' experience, and others have 1 year of experience 30 times!

I have a small collection of about 15 saws there's only one I will lend out...Poulan Wild Thing

I recently rebuild a Stihl 046 for a friend who had the same thing happen, saw was beautiful and only used a handful of times. Lent it to another contractor who thought it was "oil injected"...so not only did he put straight gas in the tank, he put 2 stroke oil in the bar&chain oil reservoir. you would think they should teach this stuff in grade school...

Latest posts

Back