Loaned my Homeite 330 to a guy; and he ran it with straight gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just assumed if you have a twig and berries you were born with that knowledge. The fact a guy can be a 'contractor' and not know this about saws I would be very skeptical of what 'he' does 'know' and his work. But when I was a manager at autozone plenty of guys didn't know where to put fluids in car. Oil in radiator, coolant in washer fluid reservoir and a couple outer I seen happen in the parking lot :crazy2: guys making 6 figure salaries had 0 clue on there cars when needing something like is it a v6 or v8 sir? I'm not sure? I had to make plenty of trips outside to see what he had because a guy didn't even know what he is driving???

I do not load my chainsaws to anyone, but
I do have one set back as a loaner.

I'ts a Poulan with a craftsman name. (I'm not a Poulan Craftsman fan)
The owners manual for this saw right on the front page in big letters has FOR OCCASIONAL USE ONLY.
I can leave this thing stored for long time, dig it out, fill with gas and oil push the primer bulb few times choke and it's up and running good. Whole side of the chain brake are is missing, no bar adjuster, have to use big screwdriver to pry on the bar for chain tension.
I really do not care if it don't find it's way back home, but I do not teller the user such, and it always comes back running and ok.
I could loan one of my good high priced saws and it would most likely not come back or be returned like yours.

Moral of story: If you have a good saw and you are type that WILL loan your saw to a neighbor or friend, get yourself a cheap Poulan that has a primer bulb as a loaner saw.
Non primer bulb Poulans are usually a pain in the shoulder and behind to start when coming out of storage. People will bring those type Poulans back to YOU with a broken recoil for you too repair. (but the good side of that type Poulan is that they will usually not ask to borrow your chainsaw ever again)

You can chalk up your loaning out a saw as experience.
experience is sometimes all I have to offer.

I bought a Poulan Wild Thing at a yard sale, came with a hard plastic case and a barely opened gallon of bar oil. It was one of those "divorce" yard sales, $20 and she named the price. Claimed it was used one time to clean up a fallen limb. My intention was for it to be my "loaner' saw. Turned out to be too nice and clean, runs well, still looking for a "loaner" saw. Bottom line, dont loan a chainsaw out, help with the job if you have too but never loan a saw out.

So those poulan wild things are good saws? I see alot of guys talking about them. There's alot of them around but always passed on them
They are okay for what they are intended for, occasional use around the home. Most were sold at WalMarts and other box stores for $149 -$199 depending upon cc. 32 -36 cc's or there abouts, some even included the hard plastic case, others just a cardboard box. For $20 I figured I couldnt wrong, the bar oil was worth $8 then. Absolutely nothing wild or special about them, could be the perfect loaner saw, unless you are like me.

So those poulan wild things are good saws? I see alot of guys talking about them. There's alot of them around but always passed on them
I have owned since new the poulan predator 35cc version and it has been a fantastic little saw for the 140 bucks. The damn thing is 15 years old and screams with a 16" bar, it keeps up with a neighbors 455 rancher. It will reduce your hands to a trembling mess from vibrations and run all day long on a single liter of mixed fuel. Its probably bucked 100 cords into rounds only needing bars/chains and fuel lines.
As for the guy ruining a saw then refusing to pay for repairs, there would have been broken bones regardless of whos they were, checks would have been cancelled and accountability set in motion instantly. The first thing said to anyone who gets near a good saw is its current dollar value to replace it, this sets 99% back on their heels removing all doubts it is not to be taken lightly they are using a real tool they are required to be responsible for. This step alone makes 1 in 3 people step back and say i'll pass and thats just on that poulan predator Im willing to loan to a good friend ;) Im the guy who lends it with a second chain and says swap it on the second tank of fuel and sends a liter of my own mix with it. I would have literally beaten that guy with that saw until the bar bent and the cops came, The first thing i think is would I loan this person a loaded pistol when i am unarmed, thats how i treat these situations.

I own an old homelite dreamer ship. I’ll look through inventory for a piston and the graveyard for a 330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for looking into this, and all of you who responded. All good advice.
As far as payment hold-back, hindsight is 20/20; it's too late. The work he was doing was clearing 200' or so of eroding bank, grading and lining with rip-rap. His sad story was with permits, loads of materials and a 'back-log', he needed payment in advance. I needed to get this done, and was too trusting. I should have known better. Never again.

I’ve had friends ask me if they could borrow my saws and I always simply tell them that I’d be glad to cut any tree up for them that they need or do whatever chainsaw work they need (and I have) but I simply tell them I don’t loan saws. Proper chainsaw care and handling is something that just doesn’t occur to the common man. 9 out of 10 wood burning households where I’m from and where I’ve been have chainsaws that don’t run properly or at all. My dad owns some of the same saws I own and I won’t even lend them to him.

I will say you are taking this really, really well. If someone straight gassed a saw I'd had since I bought it new in 1980s, I'd be really hot.
Witholding a chunk of his pay would be a good starting point towards making things right. It is just too bad he is not man enough to opwn his mistake and do whatever he can to rectify things. Makes me wonder if it was really "his helper" that refueled the saw.
It's way too late, and still am p.o'd. The job started out wrong and although he finished the work, AFAIC it's sub-par. First day on the job, he's out there trying to get his chainsaw to run. (not sure, but I think it was an old Stihl). It wouldn't start. The helper was swinging a weeding sickle (barely) and getting nowhere. I called my friend who's a really good engine mechanic, and he came right over. Engine wouldn't even kick. I don't remember, but probably no spark.

That's when I should have just told the guy come back when he has the right tools. After waiting months for permits and scheduling, I wanted to see this get done. Never thought he'd do a bonehead move like that. One of life's lessons I won't forget.

They are excellent (Partner 351 here)....did an overhaul after some 20yrs (bought it in1997)...new fuel lines...new C3 bearings with seals (you can not buy just seals at least not here localy).....did a MM and widen its ports....lowered exhaust port a bit.....new piston ring...and voilaaaa...I have a new saw :D

Most engine parts are interchangable with Husquarna 137/141

Interesting info re Poulan/Craftsman saws. A friend who passed away 1 year ago, had an old Craftsman chainsaw in the carry case, among lots of other various cheap tools. His wife was cleaning out the shed, and asked me if I wanted anything. Wife and I went over to see what was there, and the only thing that interested me was this chainsaw. I asked her what sh wanted for it, and she said "Nothing. You can have it".
Did a;; the usual things re cleaning, emptying flushing and refill the gas tank. Couldn't get it started. So my mechanic friend took it and did a carburetor rebuild. It starts to run but only for a second or 3. He and I have tried to find a new carb, and everyone says they're not available. It's a Walbro WT-3, Sears carb part #35158, and the saw is a Craftsman 358.353690. This carb has only one gas line to it, where most have 2.

I've been trying for months to get this saw running, as it would be the prefect lightweight trimming saw, and I hate the idea of tossing it.

50 years old is a little "old" for that mistake. I've run into that before. Some people have 30 years' experience, and others have 1 year of experience 30 times!
I'm not positive this was the reply word for word, but it was along the lines of "well, why did you let me borrow the saw?"

I’ve had friends ask me if they could borrow my saws and I always simply tell them that I’d be glad to cut any tree up for them that they need or do whatever chainsaw work they need (and I have) but I simply tell them I don’t loan saws. Proper chainsaw care and handling is something that just doesn’t occur to the common man. 9 out of 10 wood burning households where I’m from and where I’ve been have chainsaws that don’t run properly or at all. My dad owns some of the same saws I own and I won’t even lend them to him.
Same goes for trailers. I will gladly help you move what you need to but no way am I loaning the thing out. Probably same for log splitter. I mean we don't loan our wife/gf out do we???

That thing is beautiful. What a treasure.
I’ve run two tanks thru it . Guy I bought it from said his dad used it ,once! Had a tree come down in his driveway and refused to pay someone to cut it up . Son said he cut it at the root and in the middle and dragged it to the side of the driveway. Saw never came out again

Latest posts

Back