Loaned my Homeite 330 to a guy; and he ran it with straight gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's way too late, and still am p.o'd. The job started out wrong and although he finished the work, AFAIC it's sub-par. First day on the job, he's out there trying to get his chainsaw to run. (not sure, but I think it was an old Stihl). It wouldn't start. The helper was swinging a weeding sickle (barely) and getting nowhere. I called my friend who's a really good engine mechanic, and he came right over. Engine wouldn't even kick. I don't remember, but probably no spark.

That's when I should have just told the guy come back when he has the right tools. After waiting months for permits and scheduling, I wanted to see this get done. Never thought he'd do a bonehead move like that. One of life's lessons I won't forget.
His saw was most likely run without oil too since he or his helper didn't know it or your saw needed oil.

Contractor doing work on my property couldn't get his chainsaw to run, so I offered to let him my 330. I bought this saw new in the 1980's, and I have ben the only one to use it in all these years. It has been flawless until someone else used it. Long story shortened, when they used upa full tank of my premix, his "helper" put straight gas in it, and ran it til is seized up. He gave it back to be at end of the day, and wouldn't accept responsibility for the misuse.
Friend who works on small engines disassembled it, and the piston is toast and ring broken/& seized in the groove. I want this saw to run again. Anyone here have anything like this happen to them? Is a new piston & ring most likely all I'll need (parts)? I'm looking at getting an OEM piston Homelite 330 piston .
Although I'm new here on arboristsite, I'm hoping someone will can steer me to a good source. Oh, and BTW, the guy that burned it up is an 'in-your-face' type person who will not own his problems.
I don't loan my tools for that very reason.

I went to school friends to help him cut wood, after 2 tanks he said use my fuel for your saw, I said no thanks fuel for this saw is in the box on my quad. My saw, my fuel.
I've worked on a jobsite where the Foreman wouldn't let anyone mix fuel for the saw. He allowed me to after he watched me fix it after the previous shift messed up the saw

Hole smoke! My friend and I have been scouring ebay and other websites for months, and you find one in an hour? :D
My only concern is, he says it is new, but the close-up photos of the screw heads, choke plate, and overall exterior of the body suggests otherwise. I might go for it, but it is s No Returns sale.
Hmmmmmm:
Heck, Ronnie Milsap can see that carb is not NEW.
Looks like a Bubba with a big Globemaster chisel has been into that one.
Read the Item specs carefully:
Says new open box.
AND seller does not accept returns.

Might have to use the flea bay return policy for false advertising if you do not inquire about such to the seller FIRST. (Paypal usually takes up for the BUYER for refunds when it's readily apparent that the item is not as stated))

Can't fix stupid. That was a hard earned lesson, and I hate to see that stuff happen. Just can't trust anyone nowadays. You would think a grown up male would have a handle on this.
HM

Like many have already said. Don't loan out your saw. I do let my neighbors make a few cuts now and then. But to let them take, away from my hoovering view, Not Happening!

Sounds like mouf-breathing Contractor Einstein should stick to his day job of rocket surgery.
drif.gif

What human being over the age of say TEN doesn't know that CHAINSAWS need OIL in the gas? Seriously.
Somebody that stupid shouldn't be allowed to operate a f$cking motor vehicle, let alone a chainsaw.

Sounds like mouf-breathing Contractor Einstein should stick to his day job of rocket surgery.
drif.gif

What human being over the age of say TEN doesn't know that CHAINSAWS need OIL in the gas? Seriously.
Somebody that stupid shouldn't be allowed to operate a f$cking motor vehicle, let alone a chainsaw.
Actually, there's tons of people that live in the city, work in an office, don't drive a car that wouldn't know one end of a chainsaw from the other. Those people probably wouldn't ask to borrow a saw, they'd hire someone else to trim their shrubbery.

Hmmmmmm:
Heck, Ronnie Milsap can see that carb is not NEW.
Looks like a Bubba with a big Globemaster chisel has been into that one.
Read the Item specs carefully:
Says new open box.
AND seller does not accept returns.

Might have to use the flea bay return policy for false advertising if you do not inquire about such to the seller FIRST. (Paypal usually takes up for the BUYER for refunds when it's readily apparent that the item is not as stated))
Pretty sure I'm not going to buy it. The carb I took off my saw actually does look brand new. I think that thing on e**y is a POS. I found a thread here on arborsite regarding this same model Walbro carb, and there are a few good suggestions that might be worth trying.
Walbro WT-3 problem & the fix

The times I will loan chain saws.
1. Never ever ever ever
2.Im the operator.
If a guy can straight gas a saw probably also has the abilities to cut himself with it or drop a tree on him self someone else a house or vehicle

Actually, there's tons of people that live in the city, work in an office, don't drive a car that wouldn't know one end of a chainsaw from the other. Those people probably wouldn't ask to borrow a saw, they'd hire someone else to trim their shrubbery.
Heard if you trim your shrubbery your deck will look larger.

Contractor doing work on my property couldn't get his chainsaw to run, so I offered to let him my 330. I bought this saw new in the 1980's, and I have ben the only one to use it in all these years. It has been flawless until someone else used it. Long story shortened, when they used upa full tank of my premix, his "helper" put straight gas in it, and ran it til is seized up. He gave it back to be at end of the day, and wouldn't accept responsibility for the misuse.
Friend who works on small engines disassembled it, and the piston is toast and ring broken/& seized in the groove. I want this saw to run again. Anyone here have anything like this happen to them? Is a new piston & ring most likely all I'll need (parts)? I'm looking at getting an OEM piston Homelite 330 piston .
Although I'm new here on arboristsite, I'm hoping someone will can steer me to a good source. Oh, and BTW, the guy that burned it up is an 'in-your-face' type person who will not own his problems.
Back charge him the full cost of the saw.Or fire him off the job.

Actually, there's tons of people that live in the city, work in an office, don't drive a car that wouldn't know one end of a chainsaw from the other. Those people probably wouldn't ask to borrow a saw
Bingo. Somebody who's so stupid he doesn't know that chainsaws need oil in the fuel has no business borrowing a chainsaw. As Clint once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Someone calling himself a "building contractor," on the other hand, should probably at least have a CLUE ... possibly from the GREAT BIG PRINTED IDIOT WARNINGS NEXT TO THE GAS TANK FILLER CAP ... or possibly from the 2-STROKE SOUND, SMOKE AND SMELL IT MAKES WHEN IT'S RUNNING ... that a chainsaw requires oil in the fuel. Seriously, is this too much knowledge to expect from someone claiming to be a contractor? It's about as elementary as knowing which end of the nail gets driven into a board.

"Hey, can I borrow your airplane?"
"Do you know how to fly? Have you ever FLOWN an airplane?"
"No, but what difference does THAT make??? I know how to drive a car!"
"Sure, here's the keys ... go have at it!"

Bozo owes you a new saw, or at least the cost of having it repaired.

Back