Loaned my Homeite 330 to a guy; and he ran it with straight gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, there's tons of people that live in the city, work in an office, don't drive a car that wouldn't know one end of a chainsaw from the other. Those people probably wouldn't ask to borrow a saw, they'd hire someone else to trim their shrubbery.
I met one of these types from Buffalo, N.Y. College graduate.
They moved in as a distant neighbor and my wife and his wife decided to plant a garden at their place since it already had a Garden spot from the previous tenants.
Next thing I knew my nice 5 hp roto tiller was gone (evaporated) and when I asked the wife about such she said that Jeff was using the tiller in their garden spot.
Couple weeks later I noticed the tiller was back. Wife said it quit running and Jeff got mad and was kicking it, throwing a fit and cussing the tiller because it would run and quit.
When I checked it I immediately noticed no oil in the 5hp Horiz shaft Briggs crankcase, but it was full of mixed gas. (He thought it was a 2 cycle engine) I never said anything to anyone or complained to anyone except I told my wife to quit taking my eq without permission ever again, and Jeff never ever even mentioned such.
I eventually just installed another engine on my tiller and considered myself lucky that it was not worse or more expensive.
Later he found out I could fix most anything, he asked me to help him work on his car engine. I declined the offer in a nice way.
I just cannot help JERKS. (I remained nice as a neighbor but in a distant way.)
My wife did get 3 or 4 nice ripe tomatoes out of their shared garden. (I was not in halves on the garden harvesting)

Pretty sure I'm not going to buy it. The carb I took off my saw actually does look brand new. I think that thing on e**y is a POS. I found a thread here on arborsite regarding this same model Walbro carb, and there are a few good suggestions that might be worth trying.
Walbro WT-3 problem & the fix
Yes, some good tips in the link you posted about the WT-3.
You may know this, but when you are searching around the site about Walbro carb issues keep a heads up at the bottom of the post pages for similar issue posted links.
Their is a good post on this site about replacing the non-servic3able check valves also and in that same post a guy had tip about making your own replacements check valves.
After seeing some of them little check valves at first when kitting a little diaphragm Walbro i do not use heated Usonic cleaner and I do not even use direct injected air into the passages.
I suspect that even hot water can distort or soften the check valve disc and air pressure can also damage it and other things. Spray can type carb cleaner is a good thing on those little Warbro's. If I see the link (may have it on my computer in a Walbro tips folder) to the post I mentioned I'll post it. Also checking the input pressure is a good thing, I make sure they hold 5 psi on the input barb and I've seen them leak back slow to 3 psi and run ok. After you see one holding pressure you can insert a small blunt object through the cover hole on the top of the diaphragm and dump the pressure and test again to see if it repeats holding pressure.

Here is some info I had saved in a Walbro folder about flogging the little troublesome Walbro's. y (just to give you some more hints)
Walbro carb How to make a check valve link

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/repairing-walbro-check-valves.269276/#post-5117319

Link to Homelite XL2 Walbro HDC carb repair, video

Some links to download and view Walbro Diaphragm carb Service data.

Some very good info about pressure testing, replacing check valves, etc.

Has info about HDC and WB carbs

A very good link to download Walbro small engine carb service manual for Walbro diaphragm carbs such as HDC, etc. Has how to pressure test and about check valves, etc.

At this link notice the Walbro Manual and info to select the free download manuals.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/Walbro-service-manual
Diaphragm carbs Service data download link

Service Manuals - Walbro

https://www.eccarburetors.com/assets/images/WalbroDiaphragmCarbSM.pdf

Walbro WB service manual data download link
https://www.eccarburetors.com/assets/image/WB-Manual.pdf

I think maybe I also seen Leon in a video at his site flogging and pressure thesting a small Walbro troublesome carb.

Here is some info I had saved in a Walbro folder about flogging the little troublesome Walbro's. y (just to give you some more hints)
Walbro carb How to make a check valve link

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/repairing-walbro-check-valves.269276/#post-5117319

Link to Homelite XL2 Walbro HDC carb repair, video

Some links to download and view Walbro Diaphragm carb Service data.

Some very good info about pressure testing, replacing check valves, etc.

Has info about HDC and WB carbs

A very good link to download Walbro small engine carb service manual for Walbro diaphragm carbs such as HDC, etc. Has how to pressure test and about check valves, etc.

At this link notice the Walbro Manual and info to select the free download manuals.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/Walbro-service-manual
Diaphragm carbs Service data download link

Service Manuals - Walbro

https://www.eccarburetors.com/assets/images/WalbroDiaphragmCarbSM.pdf

Walbro WB service manual data download link
https://www.eccarburetors.com/assets/image/WB-Manual.pdf

I think maybe I also seen Leon in a video at his site flogging and pressure thesting a small Walbro troublesome carb.

Thanks for all that info, and please, if you find anything else that may be helpful, I'd appreciate if you posted it. That way, I as well as others who may some day be working on the same problem, can benefit from your knowledge.

Some time ago my nephew (grown Man) asked to use my Stihl trimmer. After a full training session on startup and use, I handed him a gallon of mixed gas and trimmer line. He said “I have gas”. My reply, “My trimmer, my gas, my line”. Lucky for him he complied and everything went fine. I’ve had the same with saws, not loaning but helping others when they offered their gas for me to use. “no thanks, I brought my own”. I find that every new mix needs a little tweak of the carb on my Makitas.
For the OP, I would have to make a little extra effort to get the word out.

Thanks for all that info, and please, if you find anything else that may be helpful, I'd appreciate if you posted it. That way, I as well as others who may some day be working on the same problem, can benefit from your knowledge.
Here's my Homelite story. My 330 is just a little older than yours but I think it's a great saw for its size. It does have some drawbacks however. One is the rubber tube the carb sits on and acts as a port extension I assume for more torque at a lower RPM. The one that came on my saw lasted probably 30 years and then the saw started acting weird so I tore it apart far enough to see the tube was split. Absolutely replace it since you'll have the saw apart.
The saw ran fine and then, I don't know if yours is like mine, but mine is easily flooded when cold. If that happens I can get it started by taking the plug out and pulling on the rope with the throttle wide open until it drys out a little and then letting it sit. Put the plug back in and it would start then.
Then I think I really flooded it again but the flooding cure didn't fix it so I think it's got a coil that went out. I start to tear it aprat further than ever before when I only changed the carb tube and I have to say thet it is the most miserable small anything I've ever messed with. I tried to buy a good used coil from a guy on here and it turned into a huge cluster that lasted months before I got my money back and still don't have a coil. Be careful who and what you buy as far as parts!
The saw was apparently assembled by Munchkins because even though I have relatively small hands they were too big to easily work on the tight places on that saw. The fuel and oil tanks wouldn't come out of the saw because of what seemed to be the plastic swelling that they're made of. After going out a couple times a week for several weeks and trying to get those tanks out with no luck, suddenly they come out like they had returned to their original shape. Be VERY patient working on that saw or it will end up in a couple cardboard boxes like mine is.
I really like the saw and miss having it to use. Try to buy new unsold OEM parts

Thinking about it, the engine of my saw is in good shape and I'm starting to think the coil is OK too. I just really flooded it. I have some spare parts for the saw. PM me if you think you might want to buy my "In a box" Homelite.
I bought my first new anything in decades when I bought a new saw to replace it so it's an extra. I don't collect saws.

Thinking about it, the engine of my saw is in good shape and I'm starting to think the coil is OK too. I just really flooded it. I have some spare parts for the saw. PM me if you think you might want to buy my "In a box" Homelite.
I bought my first new anything in decades when I bought a new saw to replace it so it's an extra. I don't collect saws.

Interesting offer of a parts-in-a-box Homelite 330, and thanks, I may be interested. Sending PM for more details.

Back