Local Sawmill that's interested in logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacwest

Reaction score
I own a small sawmill in Western WA and am wondering if you tree fellers ever need to get rid of your logs? It seems like there's an opportunity here and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me as the sawyer. I've attached a picture of logs we had to purchase from logger plus I had to go pick them up!
0d67ed1616b64f4dfed8c9689eced788.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Around here lot of the services are always looking for ways to get rid of big stuff that they can't chip up vs landfill where they have to pay to dump, or having a tub grinder come in every so often at there home port- again a cost. time is money and so is fuel- so maybe offer to pay for fuel/ drivers time.

I own a small sawmill in Western WA and am wondering if you tree fellers ever need to get rid of your logs? It seems like there's an opportunity here and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me as the sawyer. I've attached a picture of logs we had to purchase from logger plus I had to go pick them up!

I own a Self loader log truck, most of my clients are tree services that get the occasional log load, they usually opt to send them to a larger established mill, as they know what they will get for scale, and when to expect a check.

That said, if the money is good, and I'm not hauling anywhere south of lynwood/Seattle....

Anyway, there is room for more mills, but you have to play by the rules if you want a steady supply of logs, learn to scale a log, or hire it done (3rd party scaling is the accepted norm for larger mills) and pay on time.

You will also have to be competitive in log pricing i.e. if you want wood you will need to pay better then everyone else. Or be willing to take short/janky/ugly/crooked/mixed loads that no one else wants to bother with.

I own a Self loader log truck, most of my clients are tree services that get the occasional log load, they usually opt to send them to a larger established mill, as they know what they will get for scale, and when to expect a check.

That said, if the money is good, and I'm not hauling anywhere south of lynwood/Seattle....

Anyway, there is room for more mills, but you have to play by the rules if you want a steady supply of logs, learn to scale a log, or hire it done (3rd party scaling is the accepted norm for larger mills) and pay on time.

You will also have to be competitive in log pricing i.e. if you want wood you will need to pay better then everyone else. Or be willing to take short/janky/ugly/crooked/mixed loads that no one else wants to bother with.
Thanks!

It seems like you are new to the business, so I will add this. Most mills won't accept logs from tree services due to the high incidence of metal in the trunks. Your "free" logs can get expensive very quickly.

I can’t even count the number of jackwagons that have called me over the years, looking to pick my log pile and think I aught to sell them my best logs for less than a real sawmill is paying me woods run. About the time they start in on what they want to pay I hang up. The last jerk actually showed up in my landing looking to argue with me. The attitude shown by these fools explains why they end up selling to the mill to the next fool who starts the same show all over again.
I almost feel bad for someone who buys a new portable mill believing the manufacturer when they tell them all about the “Free” logs they can saw for big $$, but then I come to my senses.

Back