Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mare

Reaction score
We own 40 acres, and it is woodland managed. We have about 10 acres that has a corner of some type of locust tree growing that spreads quite rapidly. They range in size from 2 inch to 5 inch trunks, with new shoots popping up all over. We have been advised to cut it down and destory it. I tried to do this last year and I used full strength Round up on the cut off trunks, and this year the trunk is dead with about 6 new shoots growing out of it's base. What would be a good way to get rid of this type of tree (weed) and what time of year should it be done. (the shoots start out with thorns on them and the grown trees have thorns only on the top branches.

Any suggestions would be taken to heart. I don't want to see this weed growth choke out our forest area. Thank you.

I have two ideas.

One is mechanical - bend and snap the young whips over but do not sever them. The attached top will continue to draw nutrients from the root without sending nutients back. The roots die as a result.

Chemically, I think, though I am a little fuzzy on the specifics, that Velpar is the better chemical to use to kill stumps. Roundup is more of a foliar agent, as you can see. The stump is dead as soon as you cut it, but the sprouting shows that the root system contiued on. Research this one abit before you purchase some.

As John said, Roundup is a systemic herbicide. It is absorbed through the leaves, not the trunk or dirt. The new growth is much more susceptible than established growth. Now that you have this weed tree hurting, a little follow-up with Roundup should take care of any new sprouts. I have used this product for over 15 years, and rarely found anything it wouldn't kill.

True, roundup is a systemic and is especially for absorption through foliage.

Other options are Ortho Brush be Gone, also a product called "Woody brush killer", perhaps.

The main listed chemical for stumps is Tordon.
However, I hate it. Spilled a tiny bit in an enclosed metal storage area in my tree truck and it stunk for many years! I have used Roundup successfully for many years. Apply it full strength (18% or dilute the pro stuff a bit with gas, deisel or water) and in vertical notches cut directly into the cambium. It has usually worked for me.

I have NEVER diluted the concentrate with gasoline or kerosene, and would NOT recommend it. I never used the lower concentrations, as they are more expensive per use.
The "pro" concentrate, which is 41% Glyphosate, is actually the cheapest per use. I have mixed at various strengths and found 3 oz. per gallon is the most effective. Any more than that doesn't work any better. I also add a couple drops of dish soap to help it stick better.

Back