Log ends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmagnum357

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Went by a place where some guys run a multitec processor. I thought I had seen someone pulling a trailer with bucked logs on it coming out of there one day. Turn n.b s out they sell " log ends" pretty reasonable. I get log ends from a couple of sawmills but they are usually huge and more times than not too short to make salable wood.
Any of you guys running processors, is there any $ in these log ends? I have a cordwood saw, pto powered circular cut off saw. These logs are all small enough to go through a processor so I think working them off the one ton truck by hand will work.
I need wood for my use this winter anyway. Think I'll go pick up a load and see what it yields. Any thoughts? Red flags?

Went by a place where some guys run a multitec processor. I thought I had seen someone pulling a trailer with bucked logs on it coming out of there one day. Turn n.b s out they sell " log ends" pretty reasonable. I get log ends from a couple of sawmills but they are usually huge and more times than not too short to make salable wood.
Any of you guys running processors, is there any $ in these log ends? I have a cordwood saw, pto powered circular cut off saw. These logs are all small enough to go through a processor so I think working them off the one ton truck by hand will work.
I need wood for my use this winter anyway. Think I'll go pick up a load and see what it yields. Any thoughts? Red flags?
Sounds like a deal, but handling big rounds has it's challenges.
If you need the wood for this Winter's heat, then you're too late if you don't have seasoned wood already.
Should be seasoning firewood for 1-3 years in advance.
Got to plan ahead. Mine is done for the 2022 season back in Aug. 2021 and some of the Oaks/Elms wont be burned until 2023 or 2024.

In my area I don't think there is a market for log ends. I just run my processor for my own wood 15-20 cord a year and what I would call log ends off the processor go in a trailer and get feed into my Garn or they go into the brush pile and get burned. Years back a buddy of mine that's the kind of wood he stayed warm with. He didn't care what his wood pile looked like. If there cheap enough and you need wood go for it.

I save my log ends from the processor…..I make up a bin with old pallets and fill em up. Burn them in my shop, Or the ones that are 10-12” I use for bagged campfire wood. (Normally cut that 12”)
I had sold a few IBC totes full (they return the tote when it’s empty) for $100 delivered. Hardly worth the effort but 100 for 1/4 cord of cut offs ain’t bad either. But I’d have to use the tractor with forks and trailer to take them to town (5-6 miles).

Sounds like a deal, but handling big rounds has it's challenges.
If you need the wood for this Winter's heat, then you're too late if you don't have seasoned wood already.
Should be seasoning firewood for 1-3 years in advance.
Got to plan ahead. Mine is done for the 2022 season back in Aug. 2021 and some of the Oaks/Elms wont be burned until 2023 or 2024.

Yeah, we normally cut at least 1 year ahead, more than that for white oak. I already get the big log ends from mills. They are a challenge. I noodle them or shoot them with the powder wedge, get them down to reasonable size.

These log ends are from a processor. I doubt any are 16" diameter, and 2 ' length. I THINK they will be o.k.

Back